Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help me help a friend....

683 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Razorsedge 
#1 ·
I know a guy with an '03 6.0 that's having issues with shutting off, typically on the highway. I don't think its a HPO issue.

He just had a new oil cooler, egr delete, new standpipes, and 8 new injectors installed. He told me that it was having the stalling issue prior to the repair and was told by his mechanic that it was a HPO leak.

He says it's still stalling out of the blue 3-4 times a day on the highway, seems to be ok in town. His FICM reads 40v which is not ideal but doesn't seem to be causing any hard start issues yet.

I told him to read the codes next time it dies. He called me today and said the truck threw 13 codes. I don't know what all of them were but he's getting codes for all 8 injectors and a codes for an open circuit.

I don't know exactly what all the codes were but from his description it leads me to believe that:

1: He needs a new FICM
2: He has some possible wire chaffing causing short circuits?

Am I on the right track here? Will short circuiting cause the truck to die out of the blue like that?

EDIT: forgot to add that the truck will fire right back up after it dies.

See less See more
#3 ·
Gotcha. He is getting a 58v FICM.

I've just never heard of the FICM causing stalling. Typical? Possible a new FICM will solve the stalling issue?

#4 ·
When he changes his FICM, he should carefully check the injector harness for any chafing. Anything as small as a pinhole can have an affect on how it runs.
I attached a PDF file that will show a few spots, and the following link can help as well. LINK

It isn't typical for the FICM to just shut off, but the typical FICM failure doesn't let the truck start cold with 40 volts either.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thank you!

I suspect this is probably the cause of the stalling, at least that's what it sounds like. Appreciate the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.