white smoke, black smoke, engine knocking, and a whole lot more - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white smoke, black smoke, engine knocking, and a whole lot more

Ok i am new to this website but am looking for some very needed help and info...First of all i have a 2004 fx4 powerstroke with no mods except a big tires and a 4 inch exhaust...........two days ago my truck on warming it up in the morning started white smoking which it never had done before and got worse while on my 60 mile trip home....at which it started black smoking when leaving stop signs......in the past two days the smoking has got worse i have had periodic loss of power and a louder "knocking noise that goes away on acceleration but worsens at idle and slowing down and this morning i had a so called "burp" noise which seemed like something sucking air or releasing air only when i turned my key to let the glow plugs warm up....i am starting from scratch with nothing to read codes so any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
information regurgitator

1: Stop driving the truck until you find out what is going on

2: Park your truck on a hill, nose down, then remove the egr valve and clean it. CLICK HERE for directions how to do it. Leave the valve out of the truck overnight. In the morning, check the hole in the intake for the presence of liquid. If you see any, your EGR cooler has failed and your oil cooler is plugged up in the coolant passages. This plugging is what caused the egr cooler to fail. The coolant exits the oil cooler and is directly fed to the egr cooler. The plugged up passages slows the coolant flow to the egr cooler. The slower moving coolant allows the egr cooler to overheat, and it fails internally. The coolant will then leak into your air intake stream every time the egr valve opens. This would explain the white smoke and quite possibly the knocking noise that you heard. The turbo can also be effected. During the time that the coolant is not being sucked into the engine it is flowing out into the exhaust system. This will also result in white smoke. The exhaust flow will force the coolant to flow upwards into the turbo on the exhaust drive side of it (and also where the vanes that control your boost are).
Even when the truck is shut off, the coolant can still flow out of the egr cooler, stack up behind the egr valve and also flow into the exhaust. Since there would be no exhaust flow to force the coolant upwards into the turbo, the coolant would flow down into the exhaust manifold and into whatever cylinder has the exhaust valves open. If enough coolant gets into the cylinder, you could hydrolock the engine.
The end result of all of this carnage? Possible head gasket failure. Should enough coolant get into the combustion chamber, it would raise the cylinder pressure beyond what the stock head bolts can withstand, and the bolts will stretch. The head gaskets would then blow.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks nyc 350 ill do that as soon as i can and this morning i disconnected the FICM and when i was taking it out noticed that the middle connected had two broken locking clips and was not staying connected could this be a reason for the black smoke ?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
information regurgitator

That could be the reason why it is running like crap, sure. You should be getting codes if that is the case.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok got the egr valve out and what intake do I need to check to look for liquid.....plus what device would u recommend to buy so I can read the codes thank u tremmendously for ur help
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM
information regurgitator

You pulled the egr valve out of the intake manifold.
Just leave the egr valve out on the bench for about 5 or 6 hours (if the truck is parked on a hill, nose down). Then, before putting the egr valve back where it came form, get a flashlight and look in the bottom of hole where the valve goes. ANY moisture is bad news (blown egr cooler/plugged oil cooler).
While you have that EGR valve out, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was the EGR valve wet?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Valve was dry when I took it out just dirty as could be havent looked down the hole yet to look for moisture.....ill repost in a few hours
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

got home and checked the intake of the egr valve and it was also bone dry! so what do you think that the next step should be....and what is a good programmer to read the codes on the truck?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any programmer will pull codes for the most part but more then likely your still gonna wanna see some PDS so the insight would probably be best but its not a programmer. Is it still smoking white or black? If you have a coolant pressure tester I would pressure test the cooling system to make sure you dont have a leak somewhere or possible headgaskets. I have seen EGR coolers that wont leak until warm or pressurized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.