Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replacing HPOP and IPR...anything else?

9K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  slmd95s10 
#1 ·
I am currently having the HPOP and IPR replaced and am wondering if I should have anything else looked at/ changed while it is torn down. Bare with me on this one as i am fairly new to the world of diesels :nod:

#2 ·
My question would be WHY are you replacing the HPOP?
The pump is not usually a failure point, but it is the fitting that connects the pump to the High Pressure Oil system (on the 05-up trucks) that IS a problem. The pump is over 600 bucks, the replacement fitting is 60 bucks.

#4 ·
Like I said above, the pump going out is rare.
The STC fitting that connects that pump to the rest of the high pressure oil system is a VERY VERY common failure. As a matter of fact, every 05-up truck will experience an STC fitting failure, it is just a matter of when.
Most of the pump failures are misdiagnosed fitting failures...just saying.

Before undertaking this repair, you should know the health of your oil cooler. If your temp delta is high, this would be the time to address that. (delta = temperature differential between coolant temp and oil temp)

#5 · (Edited)
What problems are you having. How did you diagnose the HPOP Problem. I had a hot start problem and changed STC fitting, Dummy plugs and Stand Pipes. Fixed my problem for less than $200. I had a Ford dealer tell me they didn't know what was going on with my truck BEFORE I fixed it myself. Don't always depend on someone else's word. I know someone else that has a hot start problem and a another dealer said it COULD be the FICM going out. Just my 2 cents :dunno:

#6 ·
it was mainly due to hot start issues, when we hooked it up to a diagnostic machine, my oil pressure wasnt keeping up with the demand according to the machine. i was barely getting 550-650 psi once running with occasional spikes to around 725 under heavy throttle. from what i was told i need at least 500 psi for inectors to fire when starting and as much as 1000 psi or more under heavy throttle. is any of this ringing true to you guys?

#10 ·
Save your money. It is NOT your HPOP. Since you have an 07, I will say the number one reason for what you are experiencing is that STC fitting. The kit you can buy comes with directions on how to set it all up on the pump and comes with an alignment jig. Not too difficult to do.
As far as standpipes and dummy plugs, yes, they definitely can give you the same symptoms. If you are going to replace one, replace both since they are literally inches away from eachother. These components are replaced by removing the valve cover and unscrewing them from the oil rails.
All said and done, if you do your own work, these parts will run you 1/4th of what the HPOP costs, and when you are finished your High Pressure Oil delivery system will be better than when the truck was built.
Give Tousley Ford a call. The standpipes and dummyplug kit is $102 (click me) and if memory serves the STC fitting replacement is right around $50. 800-328-9552

#7 ·
as far as the oil cooler question, my temperatures seem to be about 4-6 degrees difference. from what i have read up on here on the org is that anything over 15 degrees will give me a sign that my oil cooler is most likely on its way out.

#8 ·
A internal HPO leak due to STC fitting, standpipes and dummy plugs will cause your oil pressure to be low. I agree with NYC-F350, rule those out first as low oil pressure does not necessarily mean that the entire HPOP is bad. My hot start issue was one dummy plug, the o-ring had broke on.

#9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong. I've read that if you pull the IPR and there's metal shavings on the screen of the tip of the IPR your HPOP Is going bad. Changing the dummy plugs, standpipes and STC is about $200 in parts. Make sure you get the updated dummy plugs and standpipes. They have a white teflon ring with the o rings.

#12 ·
i appreciate all the info guys. i spoke with the mechanic today when i went to pick it up and he showed me the ipr which was nearly completely clogged with metal shavings. either way its running great which is all i wanted, i just want this truck to stay dependable and running great. again, thanks for everyones help!!

#13 ·
Congrats on getting it fixed. :thumb:

#14 ·
ok so here's an update on the issue at hand. i had to take the truck back in because the hot start issue popped up again. i had them pull the standpipe and dummy plugs again and make sure the O rings were in good shape. turns out one of them on the standpipe was a bit worn so they replaced it and one of the dummy plugs. i had them replace the O rings on each injector as well to be on the safe side because one of them was really chewed up already. Now, i am still getting a longer than normal cranking time that has me a bit concerned that i may have not resolved the issue completely. Does anyone have any clue as to what i may be overlooking?

#15 ·
Has the truck had a few good hard drives after replacing these parts? Could just be as simple as air in the high pressure oil system.

#16 ·
drove it to work this morning and it started up really quick. seems it may have had some air in the system that had to be worked out. starts in about a second now when it would take 5+ before.....hopefully the issue is resolved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.