Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

low icp pressure crankshaft sensor related?

16K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jjmonkeys 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 03 with the 6.0 that has just over 160,000. I think I read somewhere that low icp pressure could be related to crankshaft, camshaft position sensor issues since they affect how the icp regulator works. What do you all know. I'm fighting a no start issue and I want to try less expensive fixes before I start pulling the whole thing apart. I'm planning on doing the head studs, egr delete, oil cooler upgrade, new elc and filter, turbo back 4" exhaust, edge monitoring and sct chip in the next month or so. I'd like to get it running before I do all the upgrades I'm planning. Not too excited about taking it to a shop to get it figured out. I have an ae scanner with the ford enhanced module. I was checking it today for the first time and when I crank, icp pressure goes up to 300 then drops down to 180 or so. I could use a few pointers on how to use the scan tool. My truck was very clean when I bought it a month or so ago. I kind of think that it was a daily driver that didn't see much action. I drove it for a few weeks, pulled with it a few times up to about 10,000 lbs and it ran fine until I had a no start issue. I replaced fuel filters and drove it for a day. It died at a friends house that evening. I checked fuel pressure and came up with 38-42 psi. I blue springed it and now I get 62 psi. Still no start. I'm trying to get it running for a few days before I put all my upgrades on it. If I can definitively pinpoint the hpop or icp valve or sensor without tearing stuff apart, I'll just do it all at once. Any suggestions? I've spent a few hours researching the threads here and I'm to a point where I could use some pointers.

See less See more
#2 ·
my 05 had a no start and no code condition, ford looked it over and found the ICP was bad, replaced under emissions warranty. about 8 months ago. fast forward 8 months (present day) same no start and no code. this time the IPR was the culprit, also found by tech "found metal in IPR screen unsure of source" no quite sure what that means. 97000 mile is their a bigger problem on the horizon?

#3 ·
How hard is it to pull the ICP and or the IPR? Do you know how many hours I'd be looking at? Do you know how involved it is? I think mine is on the back of the engine which I'll be honest, I'm not excited about doing it and then tearing it down in a couple weeks to do all the other work I'm going to do. I'd really like to get it figured out before I start doing elective surgery.

#4 ·
I have an 03 with the 6.0 that has just over 160,000. I think I read somewhere that low icp pressure could be related to crankshaft, camshaft position sensor issues since they affect how the icp regulator works.
Nope. Wrong.
You will get crank and/or cam sensor codes popping up when you crank the engine for an extended period of time, such as during a no-start event. The IPR is unaffected by either of those sensors. The ICP is a sensor and NOT a regulator. I think you are confusing the ICP sensor with the IPR valve.

What do you all know. I'm fighting a no start issue and I want to try less expensive fixes before I start pulling the whole thing apart. I'm planning on doing the head studs, egr delete, oil cooler upgrade, new elc and filter, turbo back 4" exhaust, edge monitoring and sct chip in the next month or so. I'd like to get it running before I do all the upgrades I'm planning. Not too excited about taking it to a shop to get it figured out. I have an ae scanner with the ford enhanced module. I was checking it today for the first time and when I crank, icp pressure goes up to 300 then drops down to 180 or so.
If you are only getting 300psi, that is your issue. The FICM does not fire the injectors electrically until the ICP sensor reports 500psi.
To clear this up in your mind, the ICP sensor monitors oil pressure in the high pressure oil system. The IPR is what regulates this pressure. The ICP reports the pressure reading to the PCM (powertrain control module, AKA: the computer), and the PCM uses that information to control the IPR to achieve the pressure desired. Once that pressure reaches a minimum of 500PSI, the PCM "turns on" the FICM to fire the injectors.

I could use a few pointers on how to use the scan tool. My truck was very clean when I bought it a month or so ago. I kind of think that it was a daily driver that didn't see much action. I drove it for a few weeks, pulled with it a few times up to about 10,000 lbs and it ran fine until I had a no start issue. I replaced fuel filters and drove it for a day. It died at a friends house that evening. I checked fuel pressure and came up with 38-42 psi.
You could have injector problems on the horizon. Any time the fuel pressure falls below 45psi, for any reason, injector damage is a very real possibility.

I blue springed it and now I get 62 psi. Still no start. I'm trying to get it running for a few days before I put all my upgrades on it. If I can definitively pinpoint the hpop or icp valve or sensor without tearing stuff apart, I'll just do it all at once. Any suggestions? I've spent a few hours researching the threads here and I'm to a point where I could use some pointers.
First things first. Familiarize yourself with your engine and where the sensors are and what their names are.
CLICK HERE to download the book on your model year engine.
Second, your year engine is well known for eating ICP sensors. You will have to check the electrical connection to the sensor for the presence of oil. If you find the oil, the electrical pigtail and the sensor BOTH must be replaced.

If you are not reading sufficient pressure from the ICP there are a few things on the list of "could be."
It could be the ICP sensor is faulty. Checking the pigtail for oil will answer this question.
The IPR could be sticking or malfunctioning. There is a screen that covers the HPOP reservoir that is known to fail. Anything that was to get in this area would then be sucked up by the HPOP and literally thrown at the face of the IPR under high pressure. There is a protective screen on the tip of the IPR to stop small debris. If you remove the IPR and visually check the screen and find that the screen is pushed inwards, cracked or torn it is a safe bet that your IPR is junk. Check your IPR duty cycle with the AE software and post your findings.
It could be the HPOP itself. (this is not likely since it started and ran for a day) The 03 and 04 pump is not a very strong pump and is a known failure point.
It could also be a high pressure oil system leak. The most likely spot is the connection between the injector tops and the oil rail. I seem to recall that the orings in this spot are not servicable, though I think that you can actually find them. (if that makes any sense?)

Let me ask what brand oil filter you are using?
If you have an aftermarket filter in the oil filter housing, that alone can cause you issues. MOTORCRAFT filters MUST be used everywhere on this engine. NO other filter will work, period. There are patented design features that the filters must engage for them to work properly. If the oil filter is not a Motorcraft (or a Raycor) filter, it will not properly engage a poppet valve on the bottom of the oil filter housing. That will leave the valve in the open position and effectively opens a 1/4inch hole in your oil system that is draining straight back to the oil pan. Do not discount that this could cause your problem.
Also, keep in mind that if you do have an aftermarket oil filter you will need to not only buy the Motorcraft oil filter, but also a new FORD oil filter housing cap, since most of the other manufacturers use a cap that they make in an attempt to get around the patent that FORD has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.