Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Random Shut Down

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
Hey guys,have a friend with an 05 Ford F-350 Tow Truck(bone stock)equipped with a 6.0L Powerstroke that is having a bit of trouble..it will randomly shut down whenever it feels like it,doesnt give any codes just shuts down and then it has to sit for roughly 20-30mins and it will fire up and run as it should until it shuts down again..it would seem it shuts down more frequently the warmer the engine is. also should mention that Ford replaced the HGs in the last couple of weeks but it had done it previously to the new HGs IIRC..first thought that came to me is the Cam Shaft sensor but found it strange that it didnt give a CEL/DTC..any ideas,thanks for your time..James
PS: as mentioned this truck is completely stock.

#2 ·
Sounds like a high pressure oil leak to me. Have him datalog the Injection Control Pressure and Injection Pressure Regulator % duty cycle. It's likely either the STC fitting on the HPOP and/or the stand pipes and dummy plugs. I am surprised that those weren't upgraded when the HG's were replaced.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply,i really dont know if those were upgraded at the time the HGs were done or not but knowing our local dealership prob not..i'll let him know and see what happens..

#4 ·
HPOS leak is what hes got.

Cam sensor failure is extremely rare in the 6.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.