Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Pressure CAC question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sinner6.0L 
#1 ·
Have a 2006 F350 power stroke, 6.0 diesel. We use it for our business hauling mostly antique tractors on a gooseneck.

Yesterday we were pulling up a huge hill and the pressure side of the turbo, i think they called it a CAC, a hoseclamp failed and broke and the tube blew off the turbo. I had to finish the hillclimb to get out of the way at about 10mph.

I then tried a normal hose clamp and it pushed that off too...

Two questions:
I ordered a high performance clamp/silicone kit from an aftermarket company, should that fix this?

Secondly, can turbo damage result from running a turbo without pushing any air? like when i finished the hill climb? I was very careful and very slow and fixed it as soon as i could but still probably ran it open for 10 minutes.

any help is greatly appreciated
thank you
clattermac

#2 ·
Nahh, the turbo can't be hurt by that.
Your real issue? The Crank vent. It spews an oily mist into the intake tube just before the turbo. Guess what happens when you put oil on silicone? It begins to break down and becomes porous. The color of the silicone "boost boots" will actually change to a brownish gray from the FORD blue. When that happens it is time to replace them. That brownish gunk layer is actually oil that has been forced through the boot from the inside by the turbo pressure. Then the road grime sticks to the oil.
Go to stealth automotive and buy the CCV mod kit and never worry about those again.

#4 ·
I had done that a couple of times as well. I ended up going with the upgraded Dieselsite boots and clamps and also rerouted the CCV with no more problems. I would be interested in who you selected for your clamps.

#5 ·
I went to ford today, and got two new clamps (one to use, and one for a spare) and found out that the one that had failed has a couple small holes in it (from factory) not sure why they're there but the new clamps and the clamp that didn't break did NOT have these holes. The failed clamp broke at the holes, wondering if that was a safety thing, like if it were putting out too much boost it will break a clamp before it blows the motor??? Seems like a stupid idea but who knows??

The new kit is 179.99 from "Diesel Power Products" comes with new clamps and new hoses... hope its better???

#7 ·
I went to ford today, and got two new clamps (one to use, and one for a spare) and found out that the one that had failed has a couple small holes in it (from factory) not sure why they're there but the new clamps and the clamp that didn't break did NOT have these holes. The failed clamp broke at the holes, wondering if that was a safety thing, like if it were putting out too much boost it will break a clamp before it blows the motor??? Seems like a stupid idea but who knows??
the original clamps may have been stapled to the original cac tube. both have since been updated to be servicable seperately

#6 ·
I have seen those clamps fail at those holes. Typically it has been right after repairs and maybe the clamps were overtightened at that time. Those clamps I believe are only suppost to be tightened to 15ftlbs. Im not sure why they put those holes in the clamps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.