Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant system

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
since ive bought this truck in november it has been puking coolant but never got hot. just recently highway speeds would put it to the coolant temp warning. after checking the bottle on the road it was empty so i added some water to make it back home. when home i ran a flush and noticed there was oil residue in the degas bottle. i flushed and after a week or so i checked it today and notice it had some oil residue in it again. ive checked my oil and have no loss or gain in amount. i have an sct tsx and im in the process of making a custom datalog so i can read oil temp. any thoughts on what it could be till i find out my oil temps, and i ran the highway today and it never saw 200, stayed from 186-192????? 05 f250

#3 ·
You oil cooler has exploded. Your EGR cooler has failed and is leaking coolant into the engine. If this has been ignored long enough, your head gaskets are gone as well. The coolant entering the combustion chambers raise the cylinder pressures beyond what the stock head bolts can withstand and they stretch, causing the head gaskets to blow.
You are in a situation where you need to replace the egr (or delete it) cooler, and the oil cooler, then flush your cooling system with the two chemical flushes, then with a detergent to get all the oil out of the cooling system, then you will have to replace every rubber component in the cooling system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.