Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

not starting but getting fuel

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  brodie1516 
#1 ·
i have a f-350 with the 6.0 i was driving around and i parked went in the store and tried to leave but the motor wouldnt start it would crank i checked the ficm it read 45 volts and i was reading my codes and the code for the ficm didnt come up but the cps and camshaft did come up but before i buy those i want to know if that could be the problem i have the superchips flashpaq tuner for it and i read the codes off that i was trying to figure the problem out so i put the performance setting in and it started for like 10 seconds but the pedal was pegged out to the floor i bought a fuel pump for it but it got fuel from the other pump and we changed it out anyways but it was good same problem so i dont know what else it can be i really dont want to buy a new ficm or get it rebuilt unless i know that it was the problem. please help thanks :scuffy :rod:

#2 ·
What year model is it? Did it ever start back up?

#4 ·
Well I am no mechanic, but I was goin to say it was a HPO leak due to standpipes, dummy plugs, or STC fitting, but from what I have read I think that depending on the build date of the truck u may not have those componets. I THINK if it is a late 04 build it does have those. And if it does and it still hasn't started, I would suspect the STC fitting but its a good idea to update all of those components, if I'm wrong hopefully someone will come in and correct me

#5 ·
Also from what I understand the crankshaft and camshaft sensor can throw a code just from trying to start the engine multiple times, doesn't necessarily mean they r bad

#6 ·
If you are reading 45 volts for your FICM, go backwards a little.
Take the batteries out of the truck and have them load tested. Replace as a set if either of them test marginal or fails.
Get both batteries on a battery charger and charge them up to 100% charge, and no, new batteries do not come 100% charged, charge them up.
Check/clean the battery connections and cables.
Then re-check your FICM voltage readings. If you still get 45 volts your FICM needs to be rebuilt.

#12 ·
My '04 F250 had similar issue. FINALLY found the problem. It was 2 wires from the camshaft sensor back to the computer that had melted together in the middle and it was shorting out. Found this after every code under the sun had been read and troubleshooting - had already replaced crankshaft sensor, glow plug relay, and camshaft sensor. That was along with a couple of tow bills too!

#13 ·
I've been having this starting problem for the last couple of months, trying to trouble shoot this my ford dealer. We have changed ficm, icp sensor, now we are thinking that it could be the high pressure oil pump. does anybody know what the idle pressure is? i know you need 500 psi to start when its idle it is 637 psi. Is that low ? i heard it should be around 1200 psi. Its an 03 6.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.