Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dead after HPOP fix!

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  dmageetx 
#1 ·
Pulled the HPOP on my early 04 6.0L Powerstroke and found that the plug was missing. Hat it tapped and sealed. Put everything back together and it started and off I went down the road. After about a mile and 1/2 I started to get on it and all the ck engine lights came on and it died. No fluids on the ground, antifreeze still in the reserve, no black or white smoke. Will try to turn over, but won't start. Batteries are very old and need replacing. Any other thoughts on what would keep it from turning over? I couldn't get the EGR Cooler gasket off and replaced because it was too tight in there. Checked clamps on turbo etc. and they all seemed tight.
David

#3 ·
Dead after HPOP Fix?

I have to bring it to the ford dealer I guess so it can be put on the computer. I will look for oil pressure on the dash gage. I thought I might not have put the EGR Cooler clamp back on right so I took the turbo off and checked it and it was ok. No leaks around the seams of the HPOP cover. No obvious leaking fluids down under the turbo. I did find a tear in the Turbo intake duct hose. Could that cause it to die when I step on it? The no starting could be because of my bad batteries.
David

Attachments

#4 ·
As I stated in your last post, those batteries will kill the FICM if you don't get them replaced. You could also pull the IPR and check the screen for metal from the taping operation. If you are lucky the IPR screen is just clogged, maybe you will need a new IPR as well. IF your not lucky You might need a new HPOP.

#5 ·
IPR Screen

The IPR is the sensor going into the top of the HPOP cover facing to the drivers side right? I remember seeing a screen in there. How I remember is I stuck my finger in there and pushed it back a little. I hope that didn't effect anything. The screen is not accessible from the inside because there's a plate over it that is riveted down. It kills me to pull that HPOP cover again. Those three bolts under the EGR Cooler pipe are a B&$%! I think I should have it sent to the ford dealer. They will be able to get a FICM error right away on the computer right. Sorry I'm just a rookie and I really appreciate you putting up and answering my questions.
David

#7 ·
IPR Screen

The end of the IPR is a very small tip with a gasket around it. The screen was in the hole the IPR goes into further back. It is a screen with a gasket around the outside of it. This is all contingent on the fact that I'm talking about the IPR and not another device. This is an early 04.
David

#8 ·
Do you have the IPR and the ICP on the HPOP cover? I think you might have them confused with eachother.

Click HERE to download the book on your year engine. It will give you all the background info you will need to know.

The IPR should have a (replaceable) screen on the end of it.

#9 ·
ICP IPR

Thanks big time for the .pdf file! I've got it now. The IPR is the one I'm talking about on the HPOP cover. I've pulled that off before and there is a screen separate from the IPR valve in that hole that can only be reached from the outside. I will pull the IPR off and see if there is a small screen on the end of that point and check it. I have the turbo off right now so that will be easy. They put a brass plug where the ICP used to be. I will have to investigate where the ICP is located later. I'm going to check the IPR for shavings and replace the batteries and put it back together and see what she does. If that doesn't work then she's going to have to go to ford or someone with a computer to trouble shoot and get some codes. Thanks for your help!!!!
David

#10 ·
Might as well start with the next question I'm going to ask you. What are the part numbers for the IPR and HPOP cover. I heard that it's just a cheap to get the HPOP cover that comes with the IPR. What is the part number for the FICM. Where is the cheapest place to get these parts?
David

#17 ·
#11 ·
To get a FICM, you have a choice (of course). One is going with the same one that already crapped out on you once for a whopping $1100 through FORD, or send off your FICM to be repaired and rebuilt using better components than the existing.
There are two places that rebuild them that have good reputations.
The best reputation is Swamps Diesel. They have a few options available as well. The stock 48 volt version or the 58 volt version (which results in better throttle response). They also offer a performance flash that would gain around 25 extra horsepower.
Prices are $400 for the stock 48 volt version and $475 for the 58 volt version, add $150 for the performance flash (if so desired).

The second place that has a good reputation is FICMrepair.com. Their pricing depends on what warranty you ant on the piece. The only offer the 48 volt version and no option for a performance flash.
$195 for a 45 day warranty, $225 for a 366 day warranty and $325 for a full two year warranty.

If you need ANY FORD parts, I highly recommend calling Tousley Ford for them. 800-328-9552 They will be the cheapest place you will find for factory parts (even if you add in the shipping costs). If the IPR screen has become detached like that, I believe that you would be on the right track to go ahead and replace that and not "roll the dice" on whether or not that is any good.
Your ICP sensor, if not on the HPOP cover, could be located on the passenger side valve cover, near the alternator bracket, just above the glowplug module.

#13 ·
I am pretty sure that if you buy a new FICM, it would then have to be programmed at FORD. Why they sell unprogrammed parts is beyond me. I think they also sell what is known as a "half-shell" which is a drop in replacement board for the failed parts. I do not know what the cost of that is, or if it would cure you issue or not.
I haven't heard anything about buying an HPOP cover with an IPR already installed before. That doesn't mean there is no such animal, just that I haven't heard of it.
Tousley Ford parts guys are "on top of their game" and would know that answer much better than I.
Personally, If I were in your shoes, I would send my FICM out for the rebuild. The cost (if you use ficmrepair.com) is pretty cheap versus what a new one will run you, and you get the added bonus of 'better than stock' parts used to repair it. If you get another FORD part, you could find yourself with this same issue again in the future.

#14 ·
I think they also sell what is known as a "half-shell" which is a drop in replacement board for the failed parts. I do not know what the cost of that is, or if it would cure you issue or not.

I think I read somewhere here that someone paid about $340 from tousley for a half plus shipping. Dont know how long ago that was but I am going to find out cause I have resolder mine and if it craps out again most places wont repair it.

#19 ·
Gasket at end of IPR

I didn't find any metal shavings on the screen at the end of the IPR, but I did find that the small gasket at the tip was cracked. I have a new one coming tomorrow. I'm not sure that is my problem, but stupid not to replace it while I have it apart. New batteries installed as well. Tomorrow I'll put it all back together and see if she starts.
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.