Turbo Under Boost. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Under Boost.

I have a 2006 with the 6.0 I love the truck to death but its comin up on 70k miles. My scanner is tellin me that there is turbo under boost. Now the truck is hard to start and when it is running has no throttle response. Im lost and dont know where to start troubleshooting to fix it . Can some one please give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First, Check your EGR Valve. It's easy to get to and pull, and easy to clean. Takes 10 minutes to pull, clean (use a good solvent and a toothbrush.), and reinstall. If it sticks open during normal operation, even a little, it will divert exhaust from your turbo into your intake, causing lack of boost, and horrible performance. If that fixes it, replace the valve, or, just delete the EGR! =D

If you do that, and it doesn't change, you might need to pull the turbo and clean it, as the VGT Valves in the turbo might be sticking. Not too hard to do, you can do it yourself if you can operate basic hand tools.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicion View Post
First, Check your EGR Valve. It's easy to get to and pull, and easy to clean. Takes 10 minutes to pull, clean (use a good solvent and a toothbrush.), and reinstall. If it sticks open during normal operation, even a little, it will divert exhaust from your turbo into your intake, causing lack of boost, and horrible performance. If that fixes it, replace the valve, or, just delete the EGR! =D

If you do that, and it doesn't change, you might need to pull the turbo and clean it, as the VGT Valves in the turbo might be sticking. Not too hard to do, you can do it yourself if you can operate basic hand tools.
Thank you very much for the advice. I have an Egr delete kit that I bought a couple of months ago just havent had the time to install it . Now I guess that will be the next thing I do.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Thats a great time to clean the turbo anyway. Heres a great link.

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I cleaned the egr valve and now the truck runs great but I am still getting a code that the egr is insufficient flow. and when I turn on the heater I think I smell exhaust but It might just be me head playing tricks on me.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Thats a great time to clean the turbo anyway. Heres a great link.

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
So I cleaned the egr valve and now the truck runs great but I am still getting a code that the egr is insufficient flow. and when I turn on the heater I think I smell exhaust but It might just be me head playing tricks on me.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 AM

The flow code could be stuck from prior to cleaning your valve. Clear it and see if it comes back.

After cleaning the valve, if it's fried and doesn't open when the PCM tells it to, it could cause that code.

A EGR Flow code is annoying, but AFAIK, does not affect operation at all. Everyone with an EGR Delete in a later model year will get that code, and most of us just use a tuner to perma-defeat the code.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicion View Post
The flow code could be stuck from prior to cleaning your valve. Clear it and see if it comes back.

After cleaning the valve, if it's fried and doesn't open when the PCM tells it to, it could cause that code.

A EGR Flow code is annoying, but AFAIK, does not affect operation at all. Everyone with an EGR Delete in a later model year will get that code, and most of us just use a tuner to perma-defeat the code.
I have a Triple Dog GT, I cleared it and it just came back. So this weekend I'm goingto install the delete kit so I can be finished with this EGR problem. Once again thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.