Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Suspected ICP

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dieselburner21 
#1 ·
Hey guys just looking to get some feedback from you experienced 6.0 owners and hopefully some ford diesel techs. Just switched to rotella 5w-40 synthetic in my 06' from 15w-40 and the night I did it the truck loved it, smoothed out idle and seemed to run a little quieter. Next day 20 minutes down the road its starts jerking/bucking when I was at the stoplight and everytime I would get into the skinny pedal it would buck and jerk even more. After ALOT of research about the problem last night I finally found some numbers to compare on my CTS to see if I could figure out the problem, so I go check them this morning. Turns out all the readings from my CTS are what they are suppose to be .
FICM: 48 volts when starting
ICP Voltage: .2 KEY ON , 1 When cranking
ICP Psi: over 500psi when cranking

Also to look up if it is a possible turbo problem a tech stated to check the barometric pressure and MAP reading
MAP reading: 14 key on
Baro reading: 14.6 key on

Today I did go out and unplug the ICP plug and the truck seemed to drive better but it idled worse. When its plugged in, truck idles rough and drives worse than when unplugged so Im figuring ICP. Any input would be appreciated guys, I was going to order the ICP so I could hopefully have it by the weekend, hate not having a vehicle at 100%

Truck has 196,550 miles and it started doing this at 196,500..happened while running innovatives x street other than straight pipe truck is stock. Returned it to stock tune today and it doesnt make any difference.

See less See more
#2 ·
What is your ICP and IPR values when running and having the problem. Here is a quote from the t-shooting guide in my sig.

Q: What are normal ICP and IPR values ?

A: Cold engine low idle ICP = 806psi IPR 29%
A: Cold engine high idle ICP= 960psi IPR 33%
A: Warm engine low idle ICP= 585psi IPR 24%
A: Warm engine high idle ICP= 735psi IPR 28%
A: If your engine requires a high IRP percentage to get the same or lower ICP you might have an internal high pressure oil leak .

#3 ·
Thanks for the time Ham, just went and checked ICP psi is mostly like the readings in your post for warm engine with the exception it fluctuates from about 720 to 740 for high idle, I didnt see IPR percent so I guess CTS doesnt support that but Im at school for the week and dont have access too a good scanner.

#5 ·
Your cts might need an upgrade. The cs see's ipr so the cts should. Plug it in to a computer and upgrade it.

#6 ·
I just updated it a couple days ago :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.