Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Another oil cooler

6K views 59 replies 12 participants last post by  bulldog55964 
#1 ·
I have a 05 cc F350 and on sun i was driving and my coolant temp started to climb so i got off the interstate and by the time i got parked the stock temp gauge was pegged but no codes opened the hood and choclate milk was puking from my degas ......so i talked AJ's Repair in Northfield MN about a bullet proof kit and he said that if i install a bulletproof EGR cooler and a OE oil cooler that it is just as good as the fully bulletproof kit (oil to Air cooler) but half the price. has any one who has the bulletproof EGR cooler had problems with the OE ford oil cooler im kinda skeptical seeing as i baby my truck and it has 60K and it just bit me in the ***

#3 ·
thats what i thought but i figured if i can save 2000 and nobody that has done this actually has had problems with the cooler then what the heck

#4 ·
Deleting an EGR cooler, or adding an improved EGR cooler will NOT save your oil cooler from anything, considering that the failing oil cooler is what makes the egr coolers fail.
If you put the stock oil cooler back in your engine, it is only a matter of time before you do it again. How long that time is is anyones guess, but keep this in mind...Your exploded oil cooler will require that your cooling system gets flushed AFTER installing your new oil cooler. The stock oil cooler shares the same design as a "P"trap. The liquid enters and exits through the top, and anything in your coolant will get trapped in there.

#5 ·
You bring up a great question. I spend most of my days talking one on one to customers about this very issue. Let me try and set the table so that you have some of the facts to think about.

When the OEM oil cooler plugs up, it contributes to a lot of other issues, including: overheating the EGR cooler (restricted and heated coolant flow to the EGR cooler), engine oil in the cooling system, and hot, thin oil running through your engine.

The hot, thin engine oil is responsible for lubricating the following areas: All 8 of your injectors (about ~$307 each), the High Pressure Oil Pump (~$700), the turbo (~$1,400+), all the bearings, lifters, cam, cam gears, etc (priceless) and, finally, your pistons (~$???). I'm pretty sure that these 5 systems are mission-critical and worth protecting.

There is a lot of information to know and understand. The OEM oil cooler may be the best oil cooler for your needs, but I'd like you to have all the information so you can make the best decision for you. Give me a call and talk to me, Gene, at 888-967-6653. I will be more than happy to answer all your questions. After all, the more you know, the more you Bullet Proof.

#6 ·
GREAT POST, GENE!

To the OP: Please, even if you don't take our word for it, call Gene and talk to him. He isn't a high-pressure sales person; in fact, he is the exact opposite. He talks to people and explains (in more detail) what is going on with your engine and why these devices (oil cooler and EGR cooler) fail. If you prefer, you can watch some of the BulletProof videos and have Gene explain it to you that way as well. LINK to BPD videos

Best of luck in whatever decision you make! :thumb:

#7 · (Edited)
I love not having to worry about my oil cooler, or EGR cooler! :thumb:

You could save that $2,000 by doing the work yourself, if you're so inclined and capable. We have a member here (Fishermedic) that is an EMT, and has said himself that he is not much of a wrench turner. He installed the whole BPD kit in his driveway, along with many other upgrades :thumb:

Here's my install thread http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bu...f-diesel-complete-oil-egr-cooler-install.html

Fishers build thread http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/206316-paramedic-saves-6-0l.html

#8 ·
Well after talking to Gene today for literally a half an hour i am going to go all out got the BPD oil cooler system with the cold climate EGR cooler Pro pack Bypass Oil Filtration kit Now all i need to do is get on tousley and get the blue spring and some 6.4 banjos can anyone think of anything else i should do while im in there

#9 ·
Congrats on the purchase. Once your box of goodies arrive, you will see exactly what we are talking about! :nod:
You should also install the upgraded STC fitting on the High Pressure Oil Pump and upgraded turbo supply and turbo drain lines.

#10 ·
if im not mistaken the turbo drain tube comes with the pro pack but i dont think the supply line does ill have to look again thank evil

#11 ·
You're going to love that kit bud :thumb:. Like Shawn said, the fit and finish you'll see when you open that BIG brown box will put a smile on your face! :nod:

#12 ·
Thanks guys i will keep you posted on it as i get parts and get it installed i dont think im gonna do a pictorial just cause there is no way im gonna top the 26 pages fischermedic did but i think im just gonna print that whole thing out for a guide

#13 ·
I'm glad you're going to give the install a go yourself :thumb:. You know where to come if you need some pointers, also the guys at BPD are extremely helpful :nod:

#14 ·
Like Nicholas said, if you have any questions, just post them up, send us a PM or give BulletProof a call. :thumb:

#16 ·
You will not be sorry...

#17 ·
Well i got an hour and a half in today to start the tear down today got down to just having the turbo and intake to pull off yet i got stuck on the turbo bolt right next to the ficm should i pull that ficm so i can get a hammer in there to break that bolt loose other wise my 3/8 ratchet is too long and i can pull as had as i can on a wrench and it doesnt budge ive sprayed about a can of pb on it so maybe better luck tommarow

#18 ·
Remove the FICM. My turbo bolts came out easily, so I don't have any pointers for you there. a2elvis would be more helpful, I 'think' he's installed a few of these systems :wink[3]:

#19 ·
Yea pull the ficm you will have to pull it anyways to get the intake off. Those turbo bolts can be quite the bear to get off!! Patience is the key. Remember this job is quite difficult. Shoot me a pm if u need any help.

#20 ·
So this is what my coolant looks like i hope i dont need heads thanks a2elvis I havent gotten my parts yet but from the looks of it the oil filter is right above the lower bumper cowl is there any way to move it back so it dosent make a mess when changing filters

Attachments

#27 ·
Sorry havent got back to you sooner... The BPD oil filter will mount in behind the bumper on the drivers side. It sits far enough away from that front bumper and related brackets so that when you do change the oil it wont fill up the bumper. There will be a rock shield that will protect the oil filter and you can reach up thru the bottom of that rock shield to spin the filter on or off. Usually though I remove the rock sheild when changing the filter, just makes it a little easier.:thumb:

#21 ·
That sucks man! Looks like oil/coolant pudding. Andrew will point you in the right direction :nod:

#22 ·
yea im gonna sent the radiator and heater core to get boiled in a chem dip but im trying to fig out how i could flush the system without putting the radiator back on im thinking about a really clean steel pail with two steel tubes sticking out to put hoses on

#23 ·
well its all tore down just waiting on parts does any one know what the plastic zipties that hold the wire harness to the manifold bolts are called or maybe a part number i pulled on two of them and the ziptie broke instead of popping off

#28 ·
The harness will naturally lay back down in the correct position without the zip ties, but make sure that you put all the intake manifold bolts back in the correct location. A studed bolt in a hole where a non studded bolt goes could cause wire chaffing and cause drivability problems. Have seen it happen MANY times. Also when you remove the old oil cooler and housing make sure that you get the resivoir surgically clean, any contaminents left in that resivoir will give you greif(IPR valve).

#25 ·
Well its been a long hitch at work spent 37 - 12hr days drilling in the up of michigan (yea they have snow already) put i got to put in like 3 hours today and hauled my radiator off to a shop in rochester mn to be boiled got my stc fitting off and got the BPD oil cooler in forgot to bring my laptop to the farm so i didnt have any torque specs so i just put the bolts in finger tight and called it a night I had to watch the vikings pretend to play football tommarow should be a better day

#26 ·
DANG! Sounds like you've been busy at work. So I'm assuming you have a certain rotation of days on and then a few weeks of time off.

PS. Sorry to hear about your Vikings, but you had to know that was gonna happen. The GB Pack is playing some good ball right now.

#29 ·
Bulldog. If I were you I would perform Ford TSB 08-23-01

After that I would remove the radiator and heater core and have them cleaned out, as it sounds like you already have planned. You probably should really replace all of your rubber coolant hoses with the oil/coolant mixture like that... It looks like you should be able to get that mess cleaned out.

That's cool that you went with the BPD remote oil cooler but personally I would have just replaced the stock cooler, either an EGR delete or BPD EGR cooler, and install a coolant filter. Those sort's of failure where the oil and coolant mix are somewhat rare, especially with your miles. Most of the time they just clog and then cause the EGR cooler to crack. You were just unlucky enough to have the oil cooler rupture. Good luck with the install!

#30 ·
seriousy, are they junk?

it seems like anyone who has a 6.0 has nothing but problembs... i have a 04 f350 and it only has 36000 miles on it.. it runs like ****, surges all the time, runs great for a few days, than runs ****ty, sometimes it seems like it stalls and is on the rev limiter, i press the peddle and it dont do anything, than i puffs black smoke and runs good.. it is my first diesel, and it seems like with 36k on the clock it should run like a new truck... but its just not the case with this truck... dont ask me why, but i still love it... does anyone have any input on why my truck has so many issues,, you shouldnt have to check this, check that, whats your fuel pressure? delete egr, oil cooler is junk, blows head gaskets, im not sure why there is so many problembs with the 6.0 and people are die hard powerstroke fans.. im also wondering why there is a website for people to discuss all the issues with these motors...

#31 ·
it seems like anyone who has a 6.0 has nothing but problembs... i have a 04 f350 and it only has 36000 miles on it.. it runs like ****, surges all the time, runs great for a few days, than runs ****ty, sometimes it seems like it stalls and is on the rev limiter, i press the peddle and it dont do anything, than i puffs black smoke and runs good.. it is my first diesel, and it seems like with 36k on the clock it should run like a new truck... but its just not the case with this truck... dont ask me why, but i still love it... does anyone have any input on why my truck has so many issues,, you shouldnt have to check this, check that, whats your fuel pressure? delete egr, oil cooler is junk, blows head gaskets, im not sure why there is so many problembs with the 6.0 and people are die hard powerstroke fans.. im also wondering why there is a website for people to discuss all the issues with these motors...
:hijack: Yeppers the 6.0L has some pattern failures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.