Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 f250 issues. Need some input

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Names Eric and I'm new to the site, I signed up because I need some advice on my truck. I have a 2005 f250 with about 119,000 on it. When I drive the truck everyday I have no issues with it. When I hook up my trailer to it on the freeway uphill it likes to get hot fast. When I level out the temp goes back down. This only happens uphill and never without the trailer. It is not burning coolant and is not smoking or leaking coolant. I pulled the EGR valve and is was not wet but did have some soot on it. Also last week I drove on the freeway for about 1 hour and the truck lost boost. I pulled over for about 15 minutes and it had boost again. Any input would be great. This is my first diesel and am kind of lost. Some people told me the heating issue was a thermostat or that I needed to do the EGR delete kit but according to the sites my truck doesn't show the signs of a bad EGR.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
its probably time for new coolant. i also hope you have a coolant filter kit from sinister diesel. check your coolant levels? and it could be the the start of a bad egr cooler. there is many other possible things it could be these are just some of the common things. the coolant in the 6.0 breaks down fast until you filter it clean and then use fresh coolant it will last longer.

#4 ·
No codes and I don't have a tuner to look at the difference in temps. I also took my truck up the mountain the other day to play in some snow and the truck got hot after about 30 seconds of being in boost. I cant seem to figure out why its getting hot and not losing coolant. Only under load conditions.

#5 ·
I had a car once that would only get hot at wide open throttle. Turns out the radiator was partially clogged and the flow of water through it was enough to keep it cool at normal driving, but at the higher rpm's, it wasnt sufficient. Oh and the only way to tell was to take it out and look at it. I removed the bottom radiator hose and the water would flow out like there was no problem, but it was very very clogged upon inspection.

#6 ·
Get an electronic gauge set on your truck, ASAP.
You need to know what your EOT and EOT is.
I notice that in your signature line you say you already have an egr delete. Is it on the truck or is it sitting somewhere waiting to be installed?
If it is sitting in a box waiting to be installed, try the real test for the egr cooler. Park your truck on a decent sized hill, nose down. Take the egr valve out and leave it out overnight. In the morning, check the bottom of the hole for any sign of moisture. You see moisture, your egr cooler is leaking. Finding soot that is the consistency of grease is also a sign that the egr cooler has failed.
I would also check the radiator fins and see if they are clogged up with junk.
If everything else here checks out OK, your waterpump might be on its way out. They are a plastic impeller on a steel shaft. Sometimes the impeller starts to spin independent of the shaft (or a piece chips off), resulting in some strange goings on with the coolant temps (and by default, your oil temps).
I have the Cadillac of all waterpumps on my truck, thanks to Bulletproof Diesel and HIGHLY recommend it as a replacement, should this turn out to be the cause. CHECK IT OUT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.