Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

what the hell is wrong with the stroker now!!!

3K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  MyTractorsSexy 
#1 ·
so i just replaced my FICM with one that came out of an operating 6.0 put it in my truck and its still not recieveing any fuel (just cranks and cranks and no engine fire up) is it possible one of my relays is blown all my small current fuses look good. where do i go now other than to the ford dealership? any help would be great thanks

#2 ·
Do you know it's no fuel?
Or is it no HPO?
Scan it. Or pull the top fuel filter, see if it has fuel and actually fills up.
Then see if you have oil leaks at the HPOP.

#3 ·
Did you reprogram the new ficm to your truck the ficm's are programmed specifically to one truck it needs reprogrammed if it changes trucks

#4 ·
i cant see any oil anywhere and im not loosing any oil. I never reprogrammed the ficm to my truck how do i go about doing that. And if i havent programmed the ficm to my truck would that prevent the truck from starting. PS prior to this ficm issue the truck was running fine lots of power it was just on cold start ups that it was acting up i think the HPOP is all good.

#7 ·
It was my understanding that if the ficm is flashed it will work on any 6.0 but it may throw a code. I think you have other problems.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

#8 ·
So it was starting bad, and you tried a different FICM and it won't start? Did you try putting your FICM back in? Do you hear the injectors buzzing when you turn the key on?

The FICM and PCM need to be calibrated together. Ford or a shop with a programming pass thru device will have to program them.

#9 ·
what other problems do you think i may have? iv heard that the pig tail connecting the ficm has been troublsome to people in the past is their any other issues i should look at before i send it to a garage and pay out my ***. keep in mind the truck ran great before but wouldnt fire up on cold start ups. i changed the ficm now its not starting at all.

#10 ·
i dont hear the loud buzzing of the injectors when i turn the key on just quiet start up noises. (faint buzz) do you think i may have a bad injector? what i dont understand is the truck ran great before this occured it only has 125000 kms on engine

#13 ·
I think you've made up you're mind that since you swapped FICMs that it can't be that now. Justin is a PS tech. Listen to him. 'The FICM and PCM need to be calibrated together. Ford or a shop with a programming pass thru device will have to program them.'
Yes it COULD be something else, but start there. Or put the old one back in just to make sure everything else is working.

#14 ·
Make sure the ficm plugs are seated right and fully inserted also check to make sure there are no bent pins on the ficm.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

#15 ·
im gonna have it towed to a garage tomorow to get them to reflash the computer to marry the ficm to the truck i know everything else is working because i ran the old ficm in the truck it wanted to start but was puffing out smoke and wouldnt fire completly and maintain an idle. Low voltage in the stock ficm. I put in this new ficm and it wont even give me a hessitated start, ill start with reprogramming the ficm and see where that takes me thanks guys

#16 ·
If the calibration levels are close enough yes, you can just swap in another FICM and it should work. If the calibration levels are way off then it logs a code for the a PCM/FICM communication error and will cause a no start condition.

I know it's tempting to just throw parts at a truck but sometimes you cause more problems doing that. You should have checked your FICM voltage and confirmed that was your issue before just trying someone elses FICM. If you have a multi-meter it's rather easy to check FICM voltage. There are a bunch or writeups on here how to do it.

#17 ·
It wouldn't hurt to have the programming updated, but if it really is a low FICM voltage issue with the FICM then you can just put a half shell on it and not have to get it programmed. Ford sells just the high voltage driver side of the FICM for much less then a whole FICM, and you don't have to get it programmed to make it work. It's only for the 04 on up 4 terminal FICM's though.

How low was your FICM voltage getting?

#18 ·
my friend tested the old ficm i believe he said it was getting as low as 30v pre start up and 25 when cranking he was very certain this was my issue. I just bought this new ficm for 400 bucks so im not to eager to buy any more parts id like to take my chances on reflashing the computer if you think its worth a shot.

#20 ·
It is worth a shot, or you can save yourself a tow bill and take your new FICM apart and put the new high voltage driver side on your FICM and it should take care of your low voltage issues. It's just a few little screws. Just my 2 cents.

Where did you get a whole new FICM for 400 dollars?

#21 ·
Oh, I wouldn't put an 03 FICM on a newer truck. 03 trucks use a different FICM with 7 terminals instead of 4 like the newer ones. This is definitely your problem of why it won't run. Dis-regard the part about trying to piece together the FICM.

You might be able to program it to the newer programming but I'm not sure. Never tried that because it's like backdating your truck with older parts......

#22 ·
I bought it from my freinds auto wrecker it came off an 03 6.0 that was a rear end write off hell of deal compared to new and the truck was still running. So you think if i put the high voltage guts from the 03 ficm in my factory 05 ficm do you think that could be a fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.