Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

egr cooler???

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  procomp91 
#1 ·
ok so i got a 06 6.0 and its completly stock 85k on it. Well i started noticing when i go to start it the morning its alot harder to start and every now and then, not all the time, it just pours out white smoke for a few seconds. then it runs way worse when its cold then it used to and takes alot longer to warm up and start running right. i check my coolant and other fluids regularly and when this started happening i noticed the coolant was at the minimum level suddenly. does this sound like a failing egr cooler?:dunno:

#2 ·
Failing? No. Failed? Probably.
Get out when it is smoking and get a whiff. If it smells sweet, it is coolant and that would be a failed egr cooler.
Stop driving the truck. This failure can end with popped head gaskets if enough coolant gets into the cylinders.

#4 ·
Really??? EGR Cooler. I think not. Everything you described (minus coolant being at 'minimum' which is subjective because the coolant level on the 6.0 varies so much) tells me it's your FICM. You need a monitoring device of some sort and see where your FICM is at. The same monitorting device (Edge CTS, Scangauge II, etc) will also give you an indication if your oil cooler is bad. If you have a bad (clogged) oil cooler, your EGR cooler is not far behind. If it is your FICM, you need to get it fixed ASAP or risk damaging your injectors. I'm about 80% certain it's your FICM.

#5 ·
Well being the ficm is gonna throw a loop in things cause I already had my mind set on it being the egr so I don't know if you guys are familiar with mike hallas but I know him through a buddy of mine so im just gonna take my truck to him and see what he says. Because I was originally gonna do the egr on my own but now I wanna make sure that s what's wrong with it for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.