Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Compression Issues

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DaddyStroke04 
#1 ·
Hey guys im new to the site but have looked on here for help quite a bit but havent found this one yet. I have an 04 6.0 with 180 k on it. Ive had the truck for around two years and never had any problems until recently. I had an Egr delete done about 5 months ago and not long after started getting a contribution balance fault code on cyl 7 and rough idle. I put it in the shop and the mech said its the injector and replaced it but it never fixed the code and continued to idle rough. Mech said it might still have air in it and to run it and let him know. 3 months later never cleared and ran worse. Therefore i took it to another shop because the other mech wouldnt take a look at it without paying to do it all over again. The other shop says low compression on #3 and 0 compression on #7 and still has the contribution balance fault code. Checked for broken rocker arms and stuck valves and nothing so i pick it up and it loses power on the way home and had to get a tow. Mech says junk the motor and get a new one any suggestions on a possiple problem i am having and a way to fix it with out gettin a new motor.
thanks,
DaddyStroke04 florida

#2 ·
And the mechanics think money your grows on trees in Fla., right? Sounds like both of them are trying to pry your hard earned cash needlessly from your fingers to me.

If you have low compression in one cylinder and 0 in another it's probably going to throw a CB code for BOTH cylinders, not just one. Before I'd drop a LOT of money on a new motor I'd at least tear down the old motor to find the cause. These motors don't just lose compression for no reason and 180K is still a baby cylinder wise. There are LOTS of these with 3,4,5,600K thousand on them still running.

#4 ·
Thats the right move dude let us know what it turns out to be. Its real hard to find a good diesel mechanic. Look through the tech articles if you need any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.