Coolant overflow bottle FILLED with engine oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant overflow bottle FILLED with engine oil

I went to my office to pick up the airboat for an afternoon run in the glades and when i got out of the truck upon arrival, i noticed some spots of oil dripped down into the driverside wheel well from the engine compartment. When i opened the hood, i noticed chocolate milk colored oil mixture all over the top of the coolant overflow bottle. I then checked the engine oil dipstick and it was DRY. Once i put the dipstick away, i opened up the coolant overflow bottle cap and it was filled to the BRIM with engine oil/coolant mixture.

I had a whole new motor done with and EGR delete, headstuds, gaskets, and the rest of the works at 115,000 miles (just over a year ago now). Im at 138,000 miles now and this happens? I have an AFE intake, exhaust, and SCT livewire programmer.... Should this have happened considering i run a street tune and go easy on the truck most of the time?

What is wrong and what will it take to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
sounds like the oil cooler ruptured. its pretty common. Instead of flushing it over and over and over again, id suggest replace the degas bottle and cap, all rubber hoses, and flush the hell out of the heater core.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
sounds like the oil cooler ruptured. its pretty common. Instead of flushing it over and over and over again, id suggest replace the degas bottle and cap, all rubber hoses, and flush the hell out of the heater core.
But what about the residual oil/coolant mixture that remains in the engine block cooling system water jackets?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
But what about the residual oil/coolant mixture that remains in the engine block cooling system water jackets?
dawn dish soap. and water. then replace the hoses.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Should I have a shop do it or is it something I could tackle with basic hand tools? It will be in my warehouse so i have proper lifts and such. Also, a parts list that i may need. For example, Oil cooler?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

3C3Z-6A642-CA oil cooler
6C3Z-8A080-B-Degas bottle
9C3Z-8101-B-Cap

hoses i can get those part numbers to you tomorrow after i get out of work.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
3C3Z-6A642-CA oil cooler
6C3Z-8A080-B-Degas bottle
9C3Z-8101-B-Cap

hoses i can get those part numbers to you tomorrow after i get out of work.
Hey,

thanks so much for all your help. Keep me posted with those part numbers if you can! Thanks again!

Alex

PS... is this a difficult fix?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Hey,

thanks so much for all your help. Keep me posted with those part numbers if you can! Thanks again!

Alex

PS... is this a difficult fix?
define difficult. To me anything on a 6.0 is easy.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
information regurgitator

Check my signature line for a step-by-step guide to replacing the oil cooler (with part numbers and some parts to consider replacing/upgrading at the same time). The flushing, unfortunately, will have to wait until the new one is in place. (That link does not assume a failed oil cooler and does not have the part numbers for the rubber hoses you need).
If you had the proper gauges, you would have seen this long before it blew up. Read the "basic info" link in my signature for what you need, what to watch for.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Check my signature line for a step-by-step guide to replacing the oil cooler (with part numbers and some parts to consider replacing/upgrading at the same time). The flushing, unfortunately, will have to wait until the new one is in place. (That link does not assume a failed oil cooler and does not have the part numbers for the rubber hoses you need).
If you had the proper gauges, you would have seen this long before it blew up. Read the "basic info" link in my signature for what you need, what to watch for.
NYCF350,

Thanks for the link. I noticed it in your signature last night actually when i was reading a thread from 2009 that you were pretty active in with Fishinmedic when he did all that work on the excursion. I only made it to about page 8 before i was falling asleep but i'm back it this morning.

Quick question, my new motor that we dropped in 23,000 miles ago has an EGR delete on it and i'm curious if this will have any bearing on parts that i will need to purchase(or not purchase). Secondly, do you think the shop that put in this motor with all the new components in anyway responsible for replacing this part as it shouldve been a new part when the motor was put in. Is there any way under normal conditions that this part couldve failed in such a manner in the relatively short mileage that it's had?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.