6.0 missing during acceleration - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bucking and surging

2005 F350 6.0.
While towing my jeep up Red Mountain Pass a few months ago, during light to medium acceleration, my truck would start to buck violently. If I backed off or applied more throttle, it would go away.
Took a 2500 mile trip last week, no jeep, but had an overhead camper on the back, and just after leaving town, it did it again. I then began driving with a very light foot to keep it from happening. Within a 100 miles or so, it quit the bucking and I was able to finish the trip without a problem. Although I did seem to feel a very small misfire throughout the trip at the same light acceleration.
I was thinking transmission slip as well as it seemed to be worse in OD.???
The truck is new to me, and I had a full service done, including transmission flush right after I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It seems to be getting better, I don't want to speak too soon, but could something with the injectors possibly have cleared itself up? I reset the computer the other day, maybe it's relearning?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 PM

This sounds all too familiar. My truck misses/hesitates/bucks under load at highway speeds when I apply more throttle. It is more noticeable when I tow my boat (10k lbs), but it will do it on a hill at 65/70mph when I try to accelerate.

I had a new turbo and head gaskets installed less than 4k miles ago. So its not my turbo. I just did an oil change 500 miles ago with Shell T5 and RevX. I always runs T5 or T6, and alternate RevX every other oil change. It has not cleared up the issue yet. I want to give it more time on the RevX.

I have had injector issues in the past with a more evident "miss", and RevX cleared up 99% of it. This last little bit of stiction/missing just started a couple months ago. I was hoping this last oil change would do it.

I change my oil every 3500/4000 miles, RevX every other change, fuel filters every other oil change, and I run TCW3 oil every other fill up.

At one point on my Edge I had a P0263 (I think?)- cylinder contribution imbalance. That means a bad injector I think. But the code has not come back, and honestly I dont know how long its been there.

Anybody fix their issue yet?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I posted having same issues and nobody has responded. I will add to this thread in hopes it helps others:

07' 6.0 had a miss after running for a bit, #5 contribution error and an occasional misfire code as well. Always starts and runs smooth when cool, has stutter or miss with very light pedal, push harder and a puff of black smoke and it takes off. When it is idleing rough, a little white smoke and strong unburned fuel, when you go it blows out black till cleared and takes off. Switched #3 injector with #5, replaced #3 with another. Still get error code on #5. FICM is 46.5-48v all the time. ICP pressure is 580-640 avg idle. Builds to 3400 psi when driving and throttle position. Quick startup cold or hot.

Is there a way to test an individual injector wire group (#5)? Cannot find any data. Symptoms to me do not indicate compression problems, am I wrong?

I am ordering some rev-x, already switched FPR to blue spring and 6.4 banjo bolts.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM

subscribed to this.

my truck is doing the exact same thing. I posted a thread as well with no responses, i just replaced my turbo to a powermax 4000 miles ago, ficm is reading 48.6v all day, was thinking it might be a tranny issue as well since i only noticed it in overdrive, but recently it been getting worse and not just in overdrive so i'm guessing that isnt it.

changed fuel filters a few nights ago, no help. Going to do oil change this weekend, already running t5, but i cant see that helping.

no codes or anything on my edge either. very frustrating.

hoping someone finds something out soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilbert15 View Post
I posted having same issues and nobody has responded. I will add to this thread in hopes it helps others:

07' 6.0 had a miss after running for a bit, #5 contribution error and an occasional misfire code as well. Always starts and runs smooth when cool, has stutter or miss with very light pedal, push harder and a puff of black smoke and it takes off. When it is idleing rough, a little white smoke and strong unburned fuel, when you go it blows out black till cleared and takes off. Switched #3 injector with #5, replaced #3 with another. Still get error code on #5. FICM is 46.5-48v all the time. ICP pressure is 580-640 avg idle. Builds to 3400 psi when driving and throttle position. Quick startup cold or hot.

Is there a way to test an individual injector wire group (#5)? Cannot find any data. Symptoms to me do not indicate compression problems, am I wrong?

I am ordering some rev-x, already switched FPR to blue spring and 6.4 banjo bolts.
So it was logging a #5 contribution failed code? Did you do injector buzz testing?

You switched #3 to #5 but then you replaced #3?

Doing an injector buzz test will help narrow it down if it's a wiring issue or an injector solenoid problem. Doing injector cutout tests will help if it's a mechanical issue with the injector.

Most of the posts on here really sound like injector issues. I think most people are noticing the miss/bucking at higher speeds because the engine is lugging or staying in the RPM range where the miss is happening. I don't think it's tranny issues. In the lower gears it's going thru the RPM range faster so it's not as noticable. I'll bet if you try and free rev it around the RPM you're noticing the issue at you'll feel it then. Usually it's around 1500-2000 RPM's. If you free rev it and mash on the throttle it should go thru the whole RPM range without any missing or smoking. If you're feeling a miss/shudder and have white smoking it's probably an injector issue, but further diagnostics would be needed to verify that.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had 03 that would smoke and cough or miss when in throttle started and idled fine. took to shop and had the egr del. put on and got the same thing. there is a sensor on top pass. side on turbo the shop said it was bad and the only way to fix it was a new turbo. shop said there was a metal plate in the turbo that would warp and not let the sensor function properly. put a new turbo on and fixed the prob. shop said that the turbo vains operate from 15% to 85% and as soon as u touch the throttle it would go to 85% and was popping back thru the intake
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
So it was logging a #5 contribution failed code? Did you do injector buzz testing?

You switched #3 to #5 but then you replaced #3?

Doing an injector buzz test will help narrow it down if it's a wiring issue or an injector solenoid problem. Doing injector cutout tests will help if it's a mechanical issue with the injector.

Most of the posts on here really sound like injector issues. I think most people are noticing the miss/bucking at higher speeds because the engine is lugging or staying in the RPM range where the miss is happening. I don't think it's tranny issues. In the lower gears it's going thru the RPM range faster so it's not as noticable. I'll bet if you try and free rev it around the RPM you're noticing the issue at you'll feel it then. Usually it's around 1500-2000 RPM's. If you free rev it and mash on the throttle it should go thru the whole RPM range without any missing or smoking. If you're feeling a miss/shudder an
d have white smoking it's probably an injector issue, but further diagnostics would be needed to verify that.
I have similar thoughts. So if I'm not throwing any codes how do I know what injector or how can I test to find which injector?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushyKing View Post
had 03 that would smoke and cough or miss when in throttle started and idled fine. took to shop and had the egr del. put on and got the same thing. there is a sensor on top pass. side on turbo the shop said it was bad and the only way to fix it was a new turbo. shop said there was a metal plate in the turbo that would warp and not let the sensor function properly. put a new turbo on and fixed the prob. shop said that the turbo vains operate from 15% to 85% and as soon as u touch the throttle it would go to 85% and was popping back thru the intake
The "sensor" your talking about is the turbo actuator solenoid. It controls the oil pressure in the turbo to actuate the VGT fins. You can replace the solenoid, but it's around 300 bucks for one. Unless the turbo is pushing oil or the impellers are chewed up you can fix these turbos for less then a new one. They just usually need to be pulled apart and cleaned up.

If you have one cylinder missing bad enough then the PCM should log you a cylinder contribution code for that cylinder. If you're not getting any codes then you need to do injector buzz and cylinder contribution testing. It's usually easier to find the weak injector if you do the tests with the engine cold. Injector misses usually show up more on a cold engine. An injector buzz test will test the electrical side of the injectors, and a cylinder contribution test will show which cylinders are weak when it's running. 6.0 injectors can be tricky to diagnose, especially when the injectors are just getting weak and not failed completely. I'd try and find a good diesel shop in your area to take a look at it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took a meter and checked for continuity on my #5 injector wiring leads from the FICM. No problems there. I then checked the resistance of the injector solenoids on 1,3,5,7. All of them read .6 -.8 ohms. Moved #1 injector to #5 position and put another injector into #1.
Truck starts quickly, idles great, then drove around surface streets and jumped on it when able. Ran smooth for a couple of days. Now when I tow or drive on freeway, I get a miss once I come to streetlights and am idling. Also have a slight shudder at tiimes when giving light pedal, can tell its missing, then I push pedal down and it blows out some smoke and takes off. Only does it after it is warmed up and only intermittantly, usually after high speed or high load condition.
Seems like volume issue? But is tripping the #5 cylinder contribution code only. Not others, ever.
FICM is 46.5-48.5v while driving, soldered the unit last week just in case.
Installed blue spring and 6.4 banjo bolts in fuel system last week as well.
HPOP reads 580-640psi at idle, climbs up to 3400-3700psi max while driving.
Has great power and mileage, even with this issue.
Why only one cylinder (#5)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.