Real problem or is it my imagination? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Real problem or is it my imagination?

I was reading a post the other day that mentioned something I have noticed since I have owned my truck. BONGOS!!!

At idle with the trans in neutral, I hear nothing out of the ordinary, unless the oil temps are higher than say 190F or so.
But when it is warmed up and in gear, with your foot on the brake, I hear it, the dreaded 'bongo drum' noise.
It isn't real loud, pretty faint actually, but it is there.
If it is a rocker, what type of damage am I doing (or have done), since it has been this way since I bought the truck a little over 20K miles ago?
Is this indicative of a failed rocker?
How involved is this? Tear off the valve cover or am I going deeper?

Am I being a hypochondriac?

Last edited by NYC F-350; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Hmmmm..... Never heard of this, but if your that concerned with it you can pull the valve covers off and see if anythings up.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM
information regurgitator

Thanks for the reply.
Wellll, I am hoping to avoid that since the garage where I work on this thing is 250 miles away. This is my only ride other than the two wheel variety and can't really afford to have it down long term. So if I am tearing into it, things are getting replaced.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have never heard nor noticed anything like that. Maybe tomorrow after I get the engine up to temp, I'll have to remember to try that and let you know if mine makes any "bongo" noises.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
information regurgitator

I will hear it sitting at a red light if the radio is off and there is no other 'in cab' blah blah blah going on.
The truck runs like a top and purrs like a kitten. Nice quiet and smooth.
Ever since I did the BPD install, I have had 0 problems with the engine. Just that I read a post that mentioned that if you hear what could be described as a 'bongo drum' noise, then that would be a lifter problem. Kinda freaked me out when I read that, so I took a ride and sure enough, I can hear it a little.
Oh, and Thank You in advance for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have a link to that thread? How many miles on the truck?

Now all of use are going to be driving around with the radio off listening to to the best sound around, the purr of a Powerstroke. That was my favorite station anyway.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I started to hear the same thing after i got my studs put in (3500 miles ago). I think its just me be being paraniod.

I had to replace one exhaust valve, all of the guides, and re- grind all of the valves. I think that the machine shop would have noticed a rocker being bed, if they went through all the valves.

Hopefully this will ease your mind. I certainly feel more comfortable after knowing that you heard the same thing.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Do you have a link to that thread? How many miles on the truck?

Now all of use are going to be driving around with the radio off listening to to the best sound around, the purr of a Powerstroke. That was my favorite station anyway.
No, I don't, sorry. The link was about someone that had done his own head gasket/studs recently. He had reassembled everything and it was running fine. Someone else dropped into the thread and said something about "be on the lookout for bongo drum sound" as that would mean he did not get the lifter assembly properly installed.
When I read that my heart sank, and I went out the following day and had to drive from NYC back to Massachusetts, then on to the Seacoast of New Hampshire, then return to NYC that night. I didn't hear the noise at any other time than at idle and sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake. Before I read the description of "bongo," I would have said that it sounds like a pump of some sort.
Like I said, the truck is running strong and quiet.
There is one other thing that I HOPE is not related. From day 1 when I installed my boost gauge, when I stand on the "go pedal" the gauge fluctuates so much that it is difficult to read. My fuel pressure gauge did the same thing, always fluctuating.
I had the FP gauge hooked up direct from the top of the fuel filter canister all the way to the cab. Yes, I have a live fuel pressure gauge in the passenger compartment. It no longer works, having shaken itself into oblivion.

104,500 miles. Bought it back last September, wayyy out in Missouri. Got in it and drove it home knowing absolutely 0 about a Powerstroke.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterko View Post
I started to hear the same thing after i got my studs put in (3500 miles ago). I think its just me be being paraniod.

I had to replace one exhaust valve, all of the guides, and re- grind all of the valves. I think that the machine shop would have noticed a rocker being bed, if they went through all the valves.

Hopefully this will ease your mind. I certainly feel more comfortable after knowing that you heard the same thing.
Thanks, I hope it is just my paranoid mind. Maybe my inner Powerstroke child needs a hug or something.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM

OK my story. I was calling around looking for a shop that could do some of the work to my 6.0 that I didn’t feel comfortable with. I talked to one guy and after he got done bashing D-MAXs he started on 6.0s and their valve train issues. From what I know the push tubes are very thin and cheap ( $ 11.00 ) . I so when a 6.0 is run at low idle for a long time and wet stacks the valve and it decides not to close properly the piston whacks it and bends a push tube. When a motor gets hydro locked with fuel or coolant 6.0s bend a push tube. When we over rev a 6.0 and float the valves 6.0s bend a push tube. I see a theme here, yep. I also hear that the design with the bridge working 2 valves off of one lifter and push tube is sorta weak and wears easily. I wish there was more discussion of 6.0 valve train issues and performance, but there don’t seam to be many experts on it around. I am glad the push tubes are the weak link I would rather install a bunch of them than have to remove the head for valve work.

After calling around I decided the best guy to work on my PSD was ME . No one will take as much care of your investment as you will.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-08-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bag of marbles, bongos, off your "rocker", paranoid inner child, smoking crack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.