Catilitic question 2005 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Catilitic question 2005

Hi guys, I am fairly new to the forum and have never posted before. This may sound a like a stupid question but I have a 2005 6.0 . Can I take the catilitic converter out of the exhaust system, I have already taken the muffler off . If I can what would be the benifits if any and the down side. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM
information regurgitator

Beyond the response of what the laws are and all the environmental repercussions... You will gain some noise and lower your exhaust gas temps.
Downside is those environmental laws and impact (and depending on your personal views, the increased noise). You will fail any roadside check or state mandated emissions testing, you can also get fined pretty heavily.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

catilitic question 2005

Thanks for the reply, I live in pa. where we do not have emission' s testing for the diesel engines that I am awhere of . Whould I still get in trouble?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM
information regurgitator

There have been reports of people getting pulled over and randomly checked. I haven't heard of this happening up in this part of the country.....yet.

You should always be very careful when you remove the catalytic converter from the vehicle. Never leave it out in the garage by itself because long handled tools sometimes attack and repeatedly throw themselves into the cat and knock out all the material inside. When the tools finish they leave the cat hollowed out and it would appear to be stock. And if you didn't know any better, you would re-install a hollowed out catalytic converter and never know what happened.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

catilitic question 2005

I get your point with the tools, Its funny I had that happen on a gas motor years ago when I was younger and not very smart. Do you think the exhaust would be extremly loud. My son has a Dodge { yeaI know thats a bad word but ] and his did not come from the factory with one and his exhaust is realy not all that loud , but it is only a six cylinder not sure what the difference a v 8 would make.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
information regurgitator

It will be louder than it is now, but you can always add a "flow through" style muffler if it is too loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.