How to prime HPOP after STC fitting upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to prime HPOP after STC fitting upgrade

I've spent the last 16 hours changing out the oil cooler, installing an EGR delete, STC fittings and after I assembled everything back I left the FICM unplugged and let the engine turn over for about 30 seconds. After installing the FICM I prayed and it turned over for about 15 seconds and started right up...Heck yeah!!! After idling for about 30 seconds I saw that I had zero oil pressure and quickly shut it down. Started it and let it run for about 10 more seconds and it never showed any oil pressure. I feel confident I did everything right installing everything, but don't understand why its not priming. Should I unplug the FICM and let it turn over longer and keep doing this until it primes or am I going to have to go back in and see what I did wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Stupid question. Is the EOP switch plugged in? For what's it worth, the engine will NOT run without oil pressure. I can tell you that with 100% certainty. If you're not getting any low pressure oil, you're not getting any high pressure oil and you're not commanding injectors to fire.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After doing more research, I think all I need to do is unplug the FICM and let it turn over until it primes up. Lets hope all I need is a minute or so. Something about turning the engine over without oil pumping upstairs doesn't sound healthy for my engine. I'll update this thread in the morning after I try it again.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stupid Question??? Please explain!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM

I had this happen after having the HPOP out as well, although it didnt show up for a couple days afterward. I had the oil cooler out as well to replace the HPOP inlet screen. I must have damaged the oil pressure switch somehow while handling everything. Shortly after the low oil pressure warning came up it started leaking oil past the connector at a fairly serious rate. Might be your problem, might not.
Edit: After re-reading your original post, I think you are confused as to what the oil pressure gauge on the dash is reading. It has nothing to do with the high pressure oil system, and the low pressure system which it does moniter (although only as an idiot light with a needle) shouldnt need any significant amount of time to prime.

Last edited by Haze; 07-06-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Re-read OP
Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
I had this happen after having the HPOP out as well, although it didnt show up for a couple days afterward. I had the oil cooler out as well to replace the HPOP inlet screen. I must have damaged the oil pressure switch somehow while handling everything. Shortly after the low oil pressure warning came up it started leaking oil past the connector at a fairly serious rate. Might be your problem, might not.
And this is the exact reason why I always remove the EOP and EOT sensor from the top cover of the oil cooler before I commence with cleaning it up.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like my question was pretty stupid since it won't run without oil pressure and so I obviously left a connector off, so I'll check that out in the morning. I really appreciate you pointing out my stupidity m-chan68. You have a great evening.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Don't need to unplug the FICM, just remove the FICM fuse, or glow plug relay fuse.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't have the EOP sensor plugged in. Now I have a new problem... it starts up fine, but when you give it gas it revs up way more that the amount of pedal I gave it. Pushing the pedal 1/4 of the way is like 3/4 and it has never done that before. It also shuttered violently when driving. If you give it gas it will take off great, but while it is coasting down it shutters pretty bad. When parked it will idle fine most of the time, then the next minute I have to give it gas in order for it to clear up. I was thinking I had air in the fuel line and it just needed to clear out. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 AM

no expert with the 6 leaker but it sounds like you have air trapped somewhere, might be in the oil lines you had off. probably not air in the fuel lines but air in the high pressure oil lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.