Wont start......???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Wont start......????

I just dropped my engine back in this weekend. It was running great when pulled but had a bad head gasket.
Now its STUDDED, delete kit, compression checked (99%).
So I took my time and made sure ALL wires were connected and grounds. ALL GOOD THERE.
I am getting fuel!!!
Turnovers strong and batteries are charged.

KEEP IN MIND TRUCK WAS RUNNING GREAT BESIDE THE BAD EGR AND BLOWN HEAD GASKET (COOLANT PASSAGE).

Any ideas? Ask what ever you want to help me figure out why it wont start.

One of the main connections to the FICM from the injector harness was slightly damaged but it didnt look like anything I should be concerned about. (FIXED)

ALL FUSES ARE GOOD!
FUEL PRESSURE GOOD!
COMPRESSION GOOD!

Last edited by 96STROKER350; 07-06-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Do you hear the injector buzzing/chattering when you first turn the key on? Do you build oil pressure on the dash when your cranking it? If you had the whole high pressure oil system drained it will take along time of cranking to get running again. It will probably need 3-4 times of cranking it for 20-30 seconds. If you're just cranking on it in 10 second spurts it would take forever to get started.

Heres how I do it. Throw a battery charger on the truck. Crank the truck till you get oil pressure to build on the gauge. This will probably take 20+ seconds of cranking. Check oil level. Let starter cool off. Crank again and it should start within 30 seconds.

I know it seems like a long time to crank it, but a HEUI style injection system can be hard to get bled out. If you've already done all of this and it still won't start then I would be looking at ICP issues.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for your response

As for the injectors, they're are buzzing their little asses off. Today I replaced the injector harness and checked the oil pressure regulator for debry.
Im not building oil pressure. I didnt completely drain the oil system. I did check to see if I had oil pressure by removing the filter and pushing down on the drain valve to close it while my wife turned the truck over. The canister filled quickly and drained smoothly once I released the valve. The SOB ran perfect before I pulled it so the odds of the HPOP or IPR or ICP going bad is very unlikely but not impossible. ICP is more likely though out of the 3.

But I still dont understand the lack of oil pressure. I have done probably 3 dozen attempts to prime and start but nothing, no pressure. I think I'll check the oil pressure sensor connection to make sure its good.
I just got done pulling the FICM back off and removed the valve cover. I pulled the high pressure rail off. It had oil in it, but I cant remember if its as much as when I originally pulled the motor.
So its either oil or the PCM. Any idea on how to test the PCM?????
As for Oil, Im not sure why I would have issues now. I was thinking about pulling the oil cooler cover back off to see if there was any debry blocking the reservoir screen but I dont see how thats even possible.

Any more ideas????

Thanks for your opinion
Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
you had the oil rails off. If its not building ICP pressure, then i would make sure the stand pipes are seated properly. and check the dummy plugs while im at it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
you had the oil rails off. If its not building ICP pressure, then i would make sure the stand pipes are seated properly. and check the dummy plugs while im at it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Question

Well I carefully installed them to make sure they were sitting properly. I know the driver side was securely mounted. I will pull the passenger side and double check for proper fit/connection. Dumby plugs? The 1/2" drive plugs with o-rings that are hollow? If so when I removed the dumby plug on the driver side today Im sure it was sealed, I heard a release of pressure once I started removing it. One thing that I thought was odd but Ive never turned a 6.0 over with a valvecover removed was I could hear a pumping or pressure sound coming from inside the head some where once I had my wife stop turning the motor over. I dont remember if this was with or w/o the rail.

So if the passenger side rail is fine (which Im sure it is) and the dumby plug is good what are your thoughts towards the ICP? Should I remove it and remount it?

I just dont know why theres issues now when they worked before removing the engine. But **** happens I guess. Thanks for you response
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Couple thoughts. You replaced or had the oil cooler out of this truck? When you say the oil pressure regulator, are you reffering to the one in the low pressure pump or the IPR?

If you have enough of a high pressure oil leak it will cause it to not build oil pressure, since it's dumping off the oil so fast. The low oil pressure system cannot supply enough oil so that's why you're not seeing oil pressure. Doing the test of checking to see how fast the oil filter canister fills up is supposed to tell you if it's a low or high pressure oil issue. Seeing as yours filled the bowl I don't think it's a low pressure issue.

If you had the oil cooler out you have to be very careful not to get any debris down in the resevoir. Did you replace the little mesh screen? Those will usually just blow out if enough debris gets on them. I doubt it's plugged that bad. But what happens is anything that got down past there get sucked right into to HPOP and usually winds up on or in the IPR. That's the point of the little screen on it.

Have you pulled the IPR and seen if the screen was intact? It's probably started sucking into the valve or is blown thru. I've done oil coolers and done the same thing.

Second, there are 2 plugs in the high pressure oil rails. One is the standpipe that your talking about. This lets oil flow from the pump to the rails. There is another plug towards the front of the rail and this is your dumby plug. The rails are cast the same side to side, hence the dumby plugs. The book says you should replace these pipes and dumby plugs everytime you have them apart. I've reused them but if you have ones that used a 1/2 head you have the old style. They have changed about 5 times since them. You can get a set from International for around 100 bucks. They call them "case to head tubes".

Check the IPR out, and if that looks ok I'll tell you how to try and diagnose a high pressure oil leak.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so I have completely removed everything (filter housings, oil cooler/cover, IPR and HPOP cover). Theres oil in the reservoir, and the IPR looks fine. Not sure what Im looking for besides it was clean and only 3 little specs of something on the screen. SOOOO how do I check for high pressure oil leak or how do I check the HPOP? As for the pressure rails, Im 99% positive theyg were seated correctly. When I removed them there was pressure in the system and a LITTLE oil and I completely drained them when I removed them the first time so oil is moving but either theres not enough pressure OR? ICP OR IPR OR WHAT?
So how do I check the following, HPOP, ICP, IPR

Im still lost as to why it wasnt building oil pressure when I completely drained the oil from the reservoir area when I removed oil cooler the first time and everything is full of oil now.

Any ideas?

Someone said I missed a ground wire but honestly I doubt that. So IF I dont mention one tell me.
Chassis to block
frame to block
battery to block (PASSENGER)
battery to frame (driver)
injector harness to intake

Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Do you have the valve covers off? If not it's ok for now. Make sure all your high pressure oil stuff is intact, like you have the oil rails on, the IPR back in, and the standpipes installed. You can leave the HPOP cover off. There is an allen head plug in the top of the HPOP. This is a pressure test port. Take that plug out. You will need to put pressurized air in here, preferably 100+ psi. You can either try and track down a fitting the will screw in there, or use a rubber tipped air blower to put pressure on it. I would recommend trying to find a fitting but it's sort of a goofy thread, so the rubber tipped blower will work. You will have to be carefull though because if you lose the seal it will blow oil all over.

Before you put pressure in the system you will have to rig up jumper wires to the IPR. One hot and one ground, doesn't matter which terminal is which. Also don't leave voltage on the IPR for more then a minute or you can damage the IPR. With the IPR jumped put pressure into the high pressure oil system. Listen for anything leaking, there should be no leaks! If air leaks out the backside of the HPOP then the IPR is not working and is letting all the oil drain back without building pressure.

With all that cranking you did the oil rails should have been full of oil. Seeing as you didn't have much I don't think you're building high pressure oil pressure.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Your low pressure oil system is fine. If it wasn't you wouldn't have had oil fill the filter housing and the high pressure oil reservoir wouldn't have had oil. It's leaking so much oil thru the high pressure oil system it's not letting it build low oil pressure, much like if you had a bearing out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.