ARP Head Bolts/Studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ARP Head Bolts/Studs

I'm new to this 6.0 diesel thing. Admittedly depressed to read all the bad news regarding the EGR and Oil Coolers. As if that is not bad enough, I have read references to ARP Head Bolts/Studs. What's the issue with OE bolts or studs? Can someone please explain this to me?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The OE bolts are TTY (torque to yield) meaning they were designed to stretch to obtain maximum clamping ability. What happens is they tend to weaken, and continue to stretch when cylinder pressures are high, causing the heads to lift off the block and blowing combustion chamber gases into the cooling system-adding a tuner only exacerbates the situation.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Not knowing how the truck will be used in the future would you strongly recommend replacing with head bolts with ARP's at the same time I do the EGR and Oil coolers or wait and see if it possibly becomes an issue? Where do you find the ARP bolts? Approximately what should I expect to pay? How big of a job is it to get at them?
Thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
IMHO studs are overrated in most cases. If the oil cooler plugs it starves the EGR cooler for coolant, and then it rutures, sending coolant directly into the cylinders. Liquids don't compress, therefore pushing out between the HG and block
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
The Silent Service

I also agree that studs aren't a requirement on these trucks. Tackle them once the coolers go south.

The stock studs are TTY bolts, which don't hold torque well and stretch for a number of reasons (over boost, cooler failure, and camber pressure being high). ARP studs are hardened studs that will not show the stretching, therefore you can run hotter programming, higher boost, and less worries.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM

dealer mechanic that did my truck said he never has them come back even with stock bolts
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatsu3816 View Post
dealer mechanic that did my truck said he never has them come back even with stock bolts
hes fulla sh!t.

If its got a tuner on it, 3-6 months depending on how aggressive the tune is and how aggressive the driver is it will guaranteed to be back
If its powering a dumptruck tow truck etc where the engines being under excessive load constantly it will be back maybe 1-2 times in a year. (this is what i have seen with my own personal experience)

First dealership i worked at i started out doing 3-4 head gaskets a week, then got up to doing 2 a day. Cab off. providing the heads were within specs of straightness.

I always get customers to go for ARP studs. THEY NEVER COME BACK WITH STUDS. Stretch bolts shouldnt be used i can understand in aluminum head to iron block applications, but NOT for these.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
hes fulla sh!t.

If its got a tuner on it, 3-6 months depending on how aggressive the tune is and how aggressive the driver is it will guaranteed to be back
If its powering a dumptruck tow truck etc where the engines being under excessive load constantly it will be back maybe 1-2 times in a year. (this is what i have seen with my own personal experience)

First dealership i worked at i started out doing 3-4 head gaskets a week, then got up to doing 2 a day. Cab off. providing the heads were within specs of straightness.

I always get customers to go for ARP studs. THEY NEVER COME BACK WITH STUDS. Stretch bolts shouldnt be used i can understand in aluminum head to iron block applications, but NOT for these.
I've been running over a year and a half with custom tunes...No problems. I pull 11k every 2 weeks and I still have yet to have a problem. I haven't changed to ELC, I've been using Gold and Distilled Water--granted, it could only be a matter of time... Just because you have ARP doesn't mean your block/gaskets won't separate. I've known and read of several people running and pushing trucks 700hp with stock bolts. Again, its circumstantial and it depends on the truck and the quality of methods. Be that as it may, I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon. I believe in protecting an investment, but if it ain't broke, why fix it. However much crap I may get, I've never had an issue yet.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflan View Post
I've been running over a year and a half with custom tunes...No problems. I pull 11k every 2 weeks and I still have yet to have a problem. I haven't changed to ELC, I've been using Gold and Distilled Water--granted, it could only be a matter of time... Just because you have ARP doesn't mean your block/gaskets won't separate. I've known and read of several people running and pushing trucks 700hp with stock bolts. Again, its circumstantial and it depends on the truck and the quality of methods. Be that as it may, I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon. I believe in protecting an investment, but if it ain't broke, why fix it. However much crap I may get, I've never had an issue yet.
Studs are preventative measures to protect your investment, not a band wagon. Right not broke dont fix it, but if its a KNOWN ISSUE why not prevent it before your up sh!ts creek without a paddle? If i owned a 6.0 even if i were to keep it stock id Fire ring the heads stock gaskets and do head studs. While id have the oil rails off id install updated dummy plugs and stand pipes. Also STC fitting. Investment protected like Fort Knox. EGR delete and IPR research oil cooler or bulletproof cooler, and coolant filter. There coolant system/head gasket issues solved for life. now that we've taken care of the top of the motor, the only thing to expect to see are injectors, injector cups, and maybe a hpop.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Studs are preventative measures to protect your investment, not a band wagon. Right not broke dont fix it, but if its a KNOWN ISSUE why not prevent it before your up sh!ts creek without a paddle? If i owned a 6.0 even if i were to keep it stock id Fire ring the heads stock gaskets and do head studs. While id have the oil rails off id install updated dummy plugs and stand pipes. Also STC fitting. Investment protected like Fort Knox. EGR delete and IPR research oil cooler or bulletproof cooler, and coolant filter. There coolant system/head gasket issues solved for life. now that we've taken care of the top of the motor, the only thing to expect to see are injectors, injector cups, and maybe a hpop.
You're talking upwards of 10k if someone doesn't do the work themselves. And again...the contributor has been the oil cooler and coolant, not the TTY bolts. There's no such thing as bulletproof. **** happens, you can prevent all you want, but nothing is iron clad. That's why in the past several months people have been reporting that Black Onyx gaskets aren't QC as OEM Motorcraft gaskets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.