DO It yourselfers. Tools Needed to fix your 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Talking DO It yourselfers. Tools Needed to fix your 6.0

RADKITPLUSA, Vacuum/Filler, Cooling System

This is for early build 6.0s And NO the intake doesnt have to come off to remove either IPR or ICP!
S6196KR, Socket, Ford ICP Sensor, 1 1/16", 3/8" square drive

OTC Tools & Equipment 6765 FORD 6.0L IPR SOCKET TOOL, StockWiseAuto

SP60, Wrench, Fan, 1 7/8" (48 mm)

Heres where youll need to do a little fabricating
To pop your injectors out, take this bit, get a 3/8ths drive cheapo 1/4 inch socket, and weld this bit into it. Youll need to shorten the bit first to have enough clearance that youll be able to get the hold downs off the injectors without wrecking the injector.
FTXEL40E2, Bit, TORX, Extra Long, T40

Youll need these to remove the Oil rails
SDMTAS30, Bit, Torx, T30
i cant find the hex ratchet that i have. I also have a T30 stubby socket with a flex head low profile ratchet. cant find those on the site...

Heres what makes life easy
Matco 3/8ths air ratchet. Part#: MT1840 Price: $166.80
MG325, Impact Wrench, Super Duty, Magnesium Housing, Standard Anvil, 3/8" drive
ONLY MINES BETTER! its lime green to match the rest of my tools and my box

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. I will keep continuing the post as more tools come along. **** might as well just borrow my friends camera go to work and take pictures of my box and tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Awesome... Keep them coming. Maybe it could get stickied later
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Heres your ICP and early build plug fittings for air checking the hpo system.
Ford 6.0L High Pressure Fuel Rail Adapters | OTC Tool Manufacturer for Cars and Trucks

YA6160, Holder, Fan Clutch Pulley, Universal
Use this to hold the hub for the fan clutch it hooks the bolts in the back of the fan

Mac Tools Online Store - Mini Angle Head Die Grinder
To clean the turbo, cyl heads, deck of the block
^also add a 1 inch arbor head for the sanding wheels. To trim them down to size i use a piece of round stock and run the grinder sideways on it to trim the wheel down to the size of the arbor fits inbetween the vane posts.

Mac Tools Online Store - Mini Grease Gun
Use this to grease your air tools like impact guns die grinders etc.

2135TiMAX Series
^This is by far the best 1/2 in drive gun on the market. When guys are having thier snap on 1/2 drive guns warrantied or being rebuilt all im doing is running out lug nuts, head bolts, pinion nuts, etc. This gun is tougher than a few 3/4 inch drive guns too. I dont have a muffler in mine either. Its a nasty beast. Other than putting a drop or 2 of air tool oil in it and greasing it, this gun ive had for 3 years and havent had a single problem, if i had to put a value on it, its done over 20k dollars worth of work.

1/2" Professional Air Ratchet Wrench
I bought this air ratchet about 3 years ago. My snap on 3/8ths model number FAR72C just didnt have enough azz behind it to remove cab bolts after 1 year of continued use and maintenance. This air ratchet from harbor freight was cheap enough to say eh, what the hell if it breaks it breaks its got a warranty on it To this day it can still break lug nuts off of a super duty if you hang on it! I use it for shackle bolts, caliper bolts especially on 450 and 550s. and whips 6.0 cab bolts out of the rustiest most siezed up looking mounts like theres no tomorrow. I only intended to use it on pulling the middle set of cab bolts on ext cabs and crew cabs to snake under the carpet and found it quite handy especially on the windbag recalls

2025MAX Product Page
2015MAX Product Page
^These two are my new favorites. I still use the harbor freight air ratchet but when theres something that cant come lose from that in a confined space, either one of those will literally blast it out. Havent had 1 6.0 cab bolt that either one of these cant rip out.

CXM1113, Wrench, Metric, Half Moon Box, 11-13 mm, 12-Point
^Up pipe nuts
CXM1012, Wrench, Metric, Half Moon Box, 10-12 mm, 12-Point
^Up pipe bolts

212FSMSY, Set, Socket, Metric, Semi Deep, 6-Point (12 pcs.) (8 to 19 mm)
This kit is perfect, matco and macs semi deeps are either too short or too long to get what your after. Most versatile socket set to have, makes pulling torque converter nuts a breeze without having to bend your arm around to get to the access hole, just pull the inspection window and viola! crank it over using this next one

Mac Tools Online Store - SS55HDA
Perfect for pulling transmissions, cranking 6.4s over to inspect valve train for damage (infamous for stuck lifters in the blocks) and for bleeding cylinders when a hydrolock condition occurs.

theres more to come...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Heres what im saving up for once i get 2 out of 3 projects done
https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/...?sku=164-R9705
Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ford Motorcraft 303-759 Cylinder Head Lifting Bracket

This is used to remove the head out of the engine bay with a engine hoist with the cab on install. It keeps the head rotated at that v-8 angle. Sure beats having 2 guys hoping they dont mess up the new head gaskets on the install.. It bolts to the intake ports on the heads
Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Ever wonder how to get an EGR valve out? EASY with these...
Bottom-line pricing on Mayhew Tools 60150 at ToolTopia.com
These are the lady slipper pry bars i own. Bought them off the matco guy and theyre warrantied for life through matco beings he represents matco and sold these on his truck. Believe it or not, theyre the same exact pry bars that matco, snap on, and MAC have. They make them for these big tool companies and all they do is slap thier logos on it...
The price i paid on the truck was 67.88 after taxes, and if i bought the same exact identical kit from matco with matco emblems on them, would have been 112.15 after taxes... I use them for popping out 6.0 EGR valves, start 6.4 egr valves then hammer them out with a 1inch chisel bit with an air hammer, And for doing rear axle seals. Oh how handy these things are! If i had to put a value on them, id say theyve done over 50k worth of work...

Got an electrical quirk you cant figure out?
Power Probe 3 Limited Edition "FIRE" with Accessories | eBay
Power Probe 3 (Mine is that exact one, hot rod power probe black with flames, they have a military camo forest print, military camo desert storm print, mossy oak pattern, and plain jane red.) This thing is by far the best tool, i never used to be any good at electrical, then i saw 3 guys who couldnt do any real work just oil changes and electrical diag, and found out just why... They all had the power probe 2s and well when it comes to tools i like to get the best. This thing can diag short to grounds, short/open to power, lights up green when power is supplied lights up red if theres an open or short to ground, and the best part is, You can use it ON ANY WIRE! Just dont keep electrically sensitive components plugged in such as anything that uses a vref signal, you have no idea how bad it is to send 12 volts and unlimited amperage to something only to see 5v and maybe 1/2 an amp... You can really FSU in a hurry or find out why you dont have trailer brakes, body lights when the bulbs are good, a chaffed injector harness YES YOU CAN USE IT ON A INJECTOR HARNESS! know why?? Your only feeding 12v to it, not 48. you wont actuate anything. you wont fry anything. I tried... Before i go preaching about something ive done it before hand... Combine this with a cheapo test light and you are in business for load testing circuits. Or make your own with a license plate bulb socket and if you have a short to ground it will light up dim if you have an open it wont light up at all, if you have an open to voltage in another circuit when that other component is being commanded or getting vref that circuit shouldnt is getting voltage to it and causing a false code...

Hmm what else should i put in here...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentstdi View Post
Ford Motorcraft 303-759 Cylinder Head Lifting Bracket

This is used to remove the head out of the engine bay with a engine hoist with the cab on install. It keeps the head rotated at that v-8 angle. Sure beats having 2 guys hoping they dont mess up the new head gaskets on the install.. It bolts to the intake ports on the heads
Thats the 2nd picture of one ive seen, 1st one was in a rotunda book at the dealership. Have yet to see that bracket in person but only thing i can say is, it cant keep the head at the "perfect angle" you have chain on your engine crane, soon as you lift it and it gets off the deck that head is guna swing. if anything i would say your going to F up your new gaskets if that head swings into it. Id believe you have more control over it if there were 2 brackets say that goes on the intake ports, and another threads into 2 or 3 injector hold down bolt ports and had something joining them in the middle where the crane hook would go. i dont have faith in it until i see it in person being used i tried the 7.3 lifting bracket on a 7.3 in cab once wont do it again, for that reason too much swing in the head despite having only 2 links of chain in the engine crane too much swing i set the head back down and crawled up in cab and lifted the head off by hand. The other diesel tech in my shop does them in cab i do them faster with the cab off and it pisses him off bad! he does the same thing i did with an ambulance truck chassis stand on the drag link bar and lift them off the deck bent over 1 at a time...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Ahh HAA Found the oil rail stubby torx bit
BLPTS1430, Socket Driver, TORX, Stubby, Blue-Point, T30

Heres what i do head bolts with
L872, Head, Sealed Ratchet, 5 15/16" L x 1 1/4" D x 2 1/2" W

L872RM, Handle, Knurled, Locking Button, 36"
^Yes that is what i do 3 90* rotations with. Your not going to bend that bad boy! or break it. I tried when i was doing a crush washer on a sterling rear end... Had the yolk locked against the frame rail with a tool i made up (pretty much a yolk from a drive shaft only with round stock welded into where the u joint would go) and had this with the socket on the pinion nut up against the bottom of the drivers side frame rail and lifted myself up off the floor with it (im 5'11 230lbs) i even used this with a 6.4 that had bent rods and was locked couldnt turn it by hand. Me and 2 other guys were pulling that engine by hand with another guy pushing the head of the ratchet in so the socket wouldnt jump and we all end up eating SH!T. Again didnt bend bow or flex. Stout. I used to use this

SHLF80A, Ratchet, Dual 80, Flex Head, Long Standard Handle, Comfort Grip, 1/2" drive, 25 3/4"
Kept breaking the pin in the head and snapped the handle once, and snap on doesnt warranty the handle got raped on that one
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Awesome info! Do you have the same kinda info for 7.3's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.