05 high pressure oil pump question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 high pressure oil pump question

Hi, new here, I found this site while searching for hpop issues. I have a 05 F350 Super Duty that failed to start after stopping at a store. I had it towed back home and started doing some research on non start problems. I used starting fluid to get it started and it ran fine. It will not restart. Further probing seems to indicate the hpop wasn't getting up to 500 psi during cranking.
I pulled the old pump from the engine, (quite a pita if you ask me). I removed the two bolts to the high pressure oil branch tube adapter and when I removed the three main pump bolts the high pressure tube adapter fell apart when I tried to lift the assembly out. I'm going to guess this was the oil pressure leak at this point.
I have a Alldata account and it showed a special tool to split this apart. I don't have the tool but really didn't need it as the new pump has this already assembled and it looks like a revised design that doesn't come apart.
The question I have is that I am concerned that the retainer that kept the tube adapter may be missing. Has anyone done this before and can you tell me if the retainer can come out and be lost. I'm afraid it may be in the bottom of the oil pan if that's the case.
Also, for those of you that have done this job before can you tell me if I can start the truck to check pump operation before I reassemble the turbo and all heat shields? I can route the turbo oil line to the drain tube long enough to making sure the pump cured the problem.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM
information regurgitator

That fitting that fell apart is a common failure. 4C3Z-9B246-F is the replacement part number you need. It comes with an new IPR screen kit as well.
Tousley Ford will be the least expensive. 800-328-9552. Of course nobody will be open until Tuesday.

EDIT: you might need part number 3C3Z-9T514-AD. It is the turbo mounting hardware kit. It has 3 new turbo mounting bolts, the o-rings for the drain tube and the gasket for the oil supply line. This will cost you a whopping $7.44
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
That fitting that fell apart is a common failure. 4C3Z-9B246-F is the replacement part number you need. It comes with an new IPR screen kit as well.
Tousley Ford will be the least expensive. 800-328-9552. Of course nobody will be open until Tuesday.

EDIT: you might need part number 3C3Z-9T514-AD. It is the turbo mounting hardware kit. It has 3 new turbo mounting bolts, the o-rings for the drain tube and the gasket for the oil supply line. This will cost you a whopping $7.44
I picked up the parts at Midway Ford truck center in KCMO yesterday and got everything but the turbo kit. The oil pump came with the o rings and the turbo oil line gasket.

Since I am guessing that this was my problem do you know if that failure has caused the pressure/no start problem?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
information regurgitator

You did not need to replace the $750 pump, just the $70 fitting. And YES, that fitting is a VERY well known point of failure.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the help and advice. I thought about replacing the fitting and re-using the old pump but since I had it and it was such a pain to replace I decided to go ahead and replace the whole assembly. I know it is a unnecessary expense but I need this truck to be reliable and since I am there I decided to replace everything. I don't need it breaking down on the wife when I am not around to help her.
Until this happened the truck has been bullet proof. This is the first time it has let us down. Hopefully it wont happen again.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I gotta dig further

Replacing the pump didn't cure the non start problem. I am trying to start it without the turbo installed and figure is should start but have an exhaust leak. I was sure the problem was solved when the pump high pressure outlet came apart from the pump. I guess I am back to the drawing board...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 AM
information regurgitator

Yeah, you have a 4 inch exhaust leak. It comes up to the turbo.
I don't think the engine will even start without the intake (including turbo) connected. That is one heck of a hole in the intake.
I had just my egr valve out and tried to fire it up just for giggles. It barely ran and only for maybe 2 seconds.

Rest assured that that fitting was absolutely going to cause you headaches if it is not the source of your no-start right now.
If I was in your shoes, I would spend the hour or so of putting the turbo back and give it a shot. It doesn't have to be perfect, but better to spend the time going forward than to guess and go backwards.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you lost a lot of the oil in the high pressure system, its going to take a little cranking to get the rails filled back up
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys were right. I put it back together and it runs. It does take a bit of cranking before it fires off so I hope any air may be bleeding out of the injector side and it starts sooner than it does now.
If not that's another project for another day. I need to heal both in the checkbook and my back from leaning over that motor for two days. Thanks for the help....
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just had this problem last week. Mine turned out to be the "dummy" plug on the passenger side, oring was broke, not allowing the oil to build to proper pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.