05 Excursion oil in water...Long - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Excursion oil in water...Long

Well I just bought an Eddie Bauer Excursion. I had to drive 400 miles to get this thing and its a beautiful truck. I have an 03 F-250 and I have never had a problem with the truck and it has 125,000 on it. The Excursion has 95,000 on it. So I checked it out before I bought it( I have owned it since Tuesday of last week)but I can kick myself in the ars for not doing a better job. The degas bottle was low on water when I saw it and I told the guys to top it off. I finally get this thing home after driving 6 hours and the next day I find oil in the water. It's not severe like puking out the degas bottle, it's just a little mixed in the system. So I figure its the oil cooler as in most cases. After removing the intake and the 1 million connectors I start to pull of the oil cooler and under the base plate I find the culprit. The oil cooler is fine and so is the egr cooler. The bottom of the oil cooler housing has an o-ring gasket that seals it to the block. The part failed in between the water jacket and oil bath for the cooler. I took some pictures and will post soon. I went ahead and am installing an egr delete with a new oil cooler. The people that sold it say it happened to me on the way but the pictures I have disagree. There was antifreeze in the truck but since oil floats all the goop was uptop. I guess you live and learn. For me it's always the hard way.....Oh did I mention I craked myself in the head with the intercooler pipe trying to get it off...yes it still hurts. 6.0 diesels suck to work on. I think Im going to invest in one of those creepers that hang over the truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
MAN, talk about a rough spot. I'm still over picturing you smacking yourself in the head with the intercooler pipe. Sorry, I'm sure it doesn't make you feel better but there are several of us that have done something like that...

Glad to hear that it isn't anything big or severe, since that oil can get in to the coolant passages and be in there for years...

Get the topside creeper and I can't wait to see the pics... BTW, my coolant is about 1/2" below the minimum mark since anything more and my engine likes to push it back out. Just something to consider.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I got all the parts clean and am waiting on parts. When I put it all back together do I need to put some oil in the bath that the cooler sits in? Kinda like priming it? I will not put much at all in there because I dont want oil level to rise and get under clean gasket surface.... Do I turn truck over untill oil pressure builds and then start it? I can pull a fuse so it wont run I suppose.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 AM
information regurgitator

Before lowering the oil cooler body into the cavity, yes, dump 0.9 quarts or so in the HPOP reservoir.
Make darn sure that area is surgically clean and that there is a new screen over the HPOP reservoir.
It should fire up with a crank time of less than 20 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.