Alternator? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator?

Ok, so just last week I was on here with a problem, come to find it was a dummy plug. On to my new problem, seems like that's all this truck is, is problems!! Thursday night I replaced my passenger side dummy plug, hooked everything back up, and fired it right up. Let the truck run for about 15 to 20 mins then drove it around the block, 10 to 15 miles, to let the engine warm up so I could test my no hot start problem. I got about half way around the block and everything started going dim on the inside, truck was running fine. Made it back home, turned truck off and tried to recrank, no luck! Check my batteries, they were both down to about 40 percent. Charged them up, next morning I drove to work, about 50 miles and no problems except battery light was on. Got to work turned truck off, fired right back up. After 8 hours of work, fired up again, went to bank shut it off, when in for about 5 mins, come back out, nothin. Sat for about ten minutes then fired up, slowly. Headed home and went dead on me about 15 into the trip while driving down the road. Left truck there took batteries out got them home and charged them, went back this mornin put them in and no problems, just battery light. Took alternator off today, takin it to autozone to get tested. Just curious to see what u guys think? Alternator or something else?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm not much into this subject, I have read everywhere on here that you can't go cheap on your batteries....

I've had my truck since mid December, and literally as soon as I fix 1 thing another completely unrelated part brakes, I'm gonna have a brand new truck here shortly
Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm right there with u man. I love this truck, the look of it, the ride, I like the power that it has, and I like the motor when its running. I've had mine about a year and I'm sick of repairing it. After dropping about 1500 on it at a repair shop within the first 3 months of having it, I had to start takin matters into my own hands. Anyway I got Alternator tested, its shot, probably goin to check on gettin it rebuilt Tuesday. Batteries tested too, they r good, and I dont go cheap on batteries either, got the most expensive ones that Oriellys carrys
Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
bad batteries are a quick way to destroy your ficm. Replace the batteries, and make sure the alternator/charging system is in working order! Good luck.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Still goin to check on getting my Alternator rebuilt. But I have checked on a new one too. I was told there r 3 different ones for my truck, 110, 120, and 140 amps. I believe it has a 140 on it? And I believe it is the original one, but what do I guys think is the best to go with?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM

As far as size, don't go with anything smaller than what's on it now. If you have or plan to have more electrical accessories you should really consider stepping up the size.

For a manufacturer, stay OEM or try these guys. https://www.dcpowerinc.com/
Whatever you do, stay away from the cheapo auto parts store alternators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.