6.0 not making as much boost as it used to - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 not making as much boost as it used to

I have a 2005 6.0. I recently did some major upgrades and repairs, but it doesn't seem to run as well as it used to. I replaced all 8 injectors. Installed a Bullet proof oil cooler system from bulletproofdiesel.com, along with an EGR delete. I also pulled the turbo apart and completely cleaned it and replaced the actuator that controls that vaines in the turbo. Before all of this the truck had no problem making 25+ pounds of boost, but now I'm lucky to see 20 under a load. My EGT's are much higher now, and you can hear it pulling air like crazy when you get into it. I just assumed it was my intake pulling the air. Am i not making boost because my 4" exhaust isnt giving me enough back pressure??? Or do I have something else going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is the EGR plugged in? Unplugged mine and same results.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Are you sure the sound is it pulling air in? Or is it an exhaust leak? If your not making any more boost then before then I doubt it would be sucking that much more air in. I would be checking it over for exhaust leaks. Make sure none of the Y pipe flex joints are cracked and that you got the Y pipe mated to the turbo properly.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The y-pipe is new. I replaced it over the winter when I started to get fumes in the cab. One of the flex joints was bad. Everything is also plugged in and I'm not getting any error codes except for the EGR due to the Delete kit.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

And your sure the Y pipe is mated to the turbo properly? They can be a pain in the but sometimes. I take it you've had the 4" exhaust on for awhile also? If it ran ok before you did all your repairs then I would think it would have to have something to do with what you've messed with. An EGR delete shouldn't have caused you to have lower boost.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The turbo is seated where it needs to be, and its joined with the y-pipe properly. Ive had the turbo on and off a few times, so I know it can be difficult to get it right. I have noticed that the turbo no longer flutters to release the extra boost like it used to. Could that be because of the EGR delete?? I know these turbos don't have a waste gate. My plan is to eventually replace it with a ball bearing one, but I don't want to spend that much money and still have the same issue
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM

My Y-Pipe was next to impossible for me to mate up, I was lucky to see 5-7lbs intermittently, got that fixed.... When I installed my pyro I don't think I tapped it right (as I haver never done it before) I have to go in every week or so and tighten it, hopefully it'll be completely sealed soon, before the pyro I hit 26 PSI on stock turbo, now about 22lbs, I suspect exhaust leak
Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No leaks around the pyro. And there are no exhaust leaks. When I replaced the y-pipe it was obvious when that I didnt have the turbo mated with the y-pipe correctly. It is quiet as can be at an idle. No leaks. And im not getting any fumes in the cab like I did when the y-pipe was cracked
Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in, I'm a beginner in the diesel area and nothin but a novice in mechanics.. I shoot my 2 cents every now and then...
Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm fairly new to diesels also. But owning a 6.0 has made me learn pretty quickly. They're not too bad to work on, but they are frustrating and expensive. As for the boost issue......... Could there be a problem with my intercooler?? My EGTs are higher now as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.