Truck died today and now I get absolutely nothing when I turn key - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Truck died today and now I get absolutely nothing when I turn key

I was heading down a long stretch of hill on the jobsite and I slipped the transmission into 2nd to let the engine do the work. I always do this on this downhill section. About 2/3 of the way down the hill the truck just shut off. When I came to a stop I tried to restart the truck and all the gauges start normally but when I turn to ignition nothing happens. Actually TCB error flashes on the readout while my foot is on the brake. When I ran a system check I'm getting an engine sensor error and a transmission temp error. I had the truck towed to the shop and the mechanic can't get the OBII scanner to read anything. I mean it is like it is not attached to the truck. He also started checking the fuses and found 1 blown it is I believe a 20 amp F2.22. When he replaced it and turned the key the truck cranked for a second then blew the fuse. Replaced with a 30 amp and it blew instantly.

What can possibly be wrong here? I/he/we don't know where to start right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That fuse supplies power to the PCM, GPCM, ICP sensor, fan clutch and MAF sensor. I would start by unplugging the fan clutch, and see if it starts.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Update:

Started unplugging the various components on that fuse and narrowed it to the ICP valve sensor. Today I got the new sensor in $160. Installed it and the truck started up! Hurray it's fixed! It idled for about 10 minutes while I cleaned up and I jumped in to leave. I made it about 30 feet and it died. Same symptoms. WTF is with this truck???????
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damuddog View Post
TCB error flashes on the readout while my foot is on the brake. When I ran a system check I'm getting an engine sensor error and a transmission temp error
Those symptoms sound just like what I had when I had an issue with my FICM plugs. One was not fully seated/locked into position and I got the TCB error message on the message center on the dash and few transmission and transfercase codes.
Double checked the plugs (they looked good, but they were not) and made 100% sure they were locked, truck fired right up and has been running good ever since.
Just something to check, if you had been under the hood recently and had unplugged the FICM for any reason.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
That fuse supplies power to the PCM, GPCM, ICP sensor, fan clutch and MAF sensor. I would start by unplugging the fan clutch, and see if it starts.

For sure, make sure the fan clutch didn't eat the wires!!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Fan clutch wires are good.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM

I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. The mechanic has spent the better part of a day and a half going over the wiring harnesses using a power probe smart transmitter searching for shorts. He has got a lot of false shorts from the transmitter but nothing positive yet. Every item on that circuit has been tested and the circuits probed. He's about to throw the towel in and send it to Ford. Any of you tech guys have any last ditch ideas? I've been without my truck now for 3 weeks.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Is that same fuse blown again?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM

yes and now we get absolutely nothing even with that sensor unplugged.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Well, the truck has been at the dealership now for 2 weeks yesterday and still no diagnosis. Last week they calledand said they unplugged the fan clutch and the truck started just fine. They plugged it back in and still ran. They took it for a test drive and all was good. They were scratching their heads because they had not really done anything. Out cam the schematic books and they started tracing wires. Nothing is reading on the code scanner. Yesterday they took it for a longer test drive to try and make it fail again and they succeeded. Now, like the ICP sensor, unplugging the fan does not work. I am out of warranty but they are offering me a loner truck tommorrow as a consolation for getting no where in 2 weeks (5 total for me).

I am frustrated beyond belief and somewhat heart broken at this point as I really liked this truck but feel like at this point if it ever runs again I'm just selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.