looking for ideas. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for ideas.

Picked up an 05 ex cab with 170k on the clock... truck was a family members who changed the oil filters about a week ago. He did not replace the cap, just the orings on them. After he got the filters swapped he fired it up... the truck ran for about a minute and died. He never got it to start again so I towed it to my house and charged the batt's back up, removed both caps and inspected them then reinstalled. I then got on the bottom housing and backed off the drain screw thinking it had air in the line and had someone cycle the key... no progress the fuel never really pressured up as I thought it should so I moved to the top bowl and backed out that screw and tired to start it until it started spraying fuel... I tightened it up and the truck started.... ran VERY rough for about 2 minutes all the while blowing out white/grey smoke. It cleared up and ran great... my family member picks it up and drives 10 hours to colorado where he parked it for the night.. got up the next morning... same thing no start. They haul it back and he proceeds to tell me he talked to an "expert" and the truck was junk so I buy it for 1500 dollars. I replace the battery's and oil and it starts very rough once again blowing out white/grey smoke. Truck runs great for the day and sat over night... I go out to go to work and its a very hard start then runs rough for longer.. maybe 3 minutes but eventually clears up. This morning I go out to get ready to come home (24 hr job) and the truck wont start.. sits and bucks and acts like its gong to but wont. Soooo I pulled out the no no juice (starting fluid) and 1 spray fires it up... smokes like hell and then runs great. Today I cleaned the egr valve... it was pretty ****Y looking but cleaned up well. I drive it like I stole it for about 10 min... without problem. The truck really seems slightly sluggish. It was used as a service truck from 05-2009 then my uncle putted around town in it for 2 years and thats been its life.. It throws 4 codes.. P2285,P2287,P0267 and P0270. Any Ideas guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am a total noob here but have read 100s of hours of posts in prep to buy a truck. From my reading it could be a number of things but either injector problems, FICM issues, factory FPR could all be culprits. I am sure some of the experts will have better ideas. If you can check the FICM voltage and its above 47.9999v you can eliminate that. Any puking around the degas bottle to indicate a pressurize cooling system (bad egr cooler, bad oil cooler, possibly shot head gaskets since you said it smokes alot). Another good test after you get it running again is to get it up to temp and put a scan gauge II on it and see if the temp difference between the engine coolant and engine oil is over 15 degrees, if so you could have shot head gaskets and oil cooler/egr cooler issues.

Sounds like injectors to me though.

Good luck!

Todd
Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM

The smoke clears up after the rough idle.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you have 2 problems.

1. Disconnect the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover and fire it up. If it idles fine, your ICP is bad. If not, you have a high pressure oil leak somewhere that will require additional diagnosis.

2. Check the FICM voltage. What is interesting is that you are only getting it on cylinders 3 & 4 which are on different connectors on the FICM. Probably a bad FICM power supply.

Wow, you literally STOLE that truck...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Ok, I just ran out unplugged and fired it up... idled smooth. Then killed it.. Plugged it back in then fired it up and it still ran smooth... But the truck was hot. Ill let it cool off for a few hours then go try it again. Ill check the FICM this evening when I have someone to turn it over for me. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Update.. Went out and unplugged the ICP and started it... it started fine but idled rough. Killed it and plugged the ICP back in... No change.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Use the procedure below to test your FICM.

--> LINK <--
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks, I will do that in the morning. On a side note... I drove the truck 50 miles or so this afternoon without a burp or shake... ran like a top. The problem is only on cold start up's and quits after it warms up a little
Old 06-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When changing fuel filters sometimes the cap won't seal and you will suck air into the fuel system. This can also cause smoking and poor performance. Check your fuel pressure if its low the regulator spring could need swaped out. Low fuel pressure Kills injectors and Low Batteries KILL FICMs. Like Evil Eye said, my money is on the FICM but, since you said it all started with a filter change I thought I would throw that out there.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM

Ok this morning I went out and checked the FICM. It had 48v so I put the truck back together and tried to start it... The truck spun free without trying to fire. I then unplugged the ICP and tried again.. same situation but it fired a couple times still no start. I pulled the cap off of the top filter.. its full of fuel. The rpm gauge go to about 500rpm and the oil psi never moves.

Last edited by firebug84; 07-01-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.