Coolant Flush/ Restore Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Flush/ Restore Question

Finally did it but it seems to have made it worse. The question I have is about the procedure. On the forum here it is suggested to remove the thermostat to do the flush. I did that and drove for more than a hour and a half with the outside temp. at 90 degrees and could only get the coolant temp up to 160 degrees. The directions on the Restore bottle says I need to get the temp. to 185 degrees. Is this chemical temp. activated? Is that why it didn`t work?

Last edited by Lastcaveman; 06-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcaveman View Post
Finally did it but it seems to have made it worse. The question I have is about the procedure. On the forum here it is suggested to remove the thermostat to do the flush. I did that and drove for more than a hour and a half with the outside temp. at 90 degrees and could only get the coolant temp up to 160 degrees. The directions on the Restore bottle says I need to get the temp. to 185 degrees. Is this chemical temp. activated? Is that why it didn`t work?
why would you pull the t stat?

Any coolant flush on a 6.0 6.4 or 6.7 goes like this...

Step 1. Drive til hot bring into the shop shut down remove degas bottle cap
Step 2. Open pet****
Step 3. Allow coolant to come flowing out.
Step 4. Enjoy a cold one or a smoke and let coolant drain.
Step 5. Come back with your snapon radkit
Step 6. Tighten pet ****.
Step 7. Put vacuum on coolant system.
Step 8. get a 5 gal bucket and fill with water or flush with water whatever makes you happy.
Step 9. Check gauge to see if it holds vacuum.
Step 10. Put fill hose in bucket after you placed bucket on battery.
Step 11. Open pet**** on snap on radkit let the air get in then close it when coolant/water/flush gets to radkit.
Step 12. place vacuum on system again for a couple seconds.
Step 13. Open pet**** on radkit and let fill
Step 14. Once done, pull radkit off bottle, place cap on bottle.
Step 15. Place your radkit back in your box close hood and road test.
Step 16. Inspect coolant level. Add if need.
Step 17. repeat if flushing or your done.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0 coolant flush write-up

Flushing and Cleaning the 6.0

There have been some cases that have come to light that indicate the flushing in some cases can lead to a plugged oil cooler. When flushing esp with the VC-9 which is an iron de-scaler the junk that is liberated from your cooling system wall can sometimes find its way into your oil cooler and plug it further and cause higher deltas. This is not the fault of the flush per say, some cooling systems are full of crud. If you have high deltas flushing is not going to fix the problem. Flushing is a great way to prevent a repeat problem once you replaced the oil cooler that was plugged to start with. When I did my flush I must admit I didn’t have a Snap-on Rad-Kit. I used restore only and my deltas are still at 4 deg.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 PM

My thoughts are that the only reason why the 185 degree was needed to be reached was to get the thermostat to open up. Since you took it out that step was not needed.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
6.0 coolant flush write-up

Flushing and Cleaning the 6.0

There have been some cases that have come to light that indicate the flushing in some cases can lead to a plugged oil cooler. When flushing esp with the VC-9 which is an iron de-scaler the junk that is liberated from your cooling system wall can sometimes find its way into your oil cooler and plug it further and cause higher deltas. This is not the fault of the flush per say, some cooling systems are full of crud. If you have high deltas flushing is not going to fix the problem. Flushing is a great way to prevent a repeat problem once you replaced the oil cooler that was plugged to start with. When I did my flush I must admit I didnít have a Snap-on Rad-Kit. I used restore only and my deltas are still at 4 deg.
yeah thats why i dont add that crap in, I agree 100% if theres any crap in the cooling system its guna get stuck in the oil cooler. I use VC1, head gasket jobs after ive vacuumed all the coolant oil ports and pistons i still run straight water and drain it a couple times might put a shot of dawn dish soap in there (as in a couple small squirts not a shot glass full)

Im surprised that even with the on going issue with the 6.4 radiators blowing and front covers suffering from cavitation and impellers losing fins, that ford hasnt called for a re-call or placed an effective TSB where we install a coolant filter at least...

That rad kit from snap on is something everyone who owns a 6.0 should invest in. or any diesel for that matter. Fills it to the proper level every time. dont have to waste any time burping it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.