Rough Idle and Smoke after head studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle and Smoke after head studs

This is my first post. I have read through hundreds of previous posts with similar symptoms but cannot nail down the problem I am having. I have an 06 F250 with an egr delete, cat delete, upgraded fuel reg spring, and SCT tuner.

Last year I installed an EGR delete kit, a new oil cooler and replaced the STC fitting. I was puking a bit of coolant whenever I towed my 10K trailer and I had some hard starting problems. None of these fixed my problems.

After I puked a gallon of coolant the last time I tried to pull my trailer, I decided to do the head gaskets and studs. I spent a couple weekends putting it all together.

After I got finished. It started up and ran normal after it worked a little air out of the system. I babied it around the neighborhood and noticed the turbo was farting a bit more than usual but figured it needed a little time to "relearn". I pulled it up to 55 with about 3/4 throttle and everything seemed fine until I heard it develop what sounded like an exhaust leak. As I pulled up to a light I noticed it was idling real rough.

I limped it back into my driveway and noticed it was puffing black smoke and running like it was on 7 cylinders. After it cooled down and I restarted it continued to idle rough and was pouring out grey smoke continuously.

I pulled up a #8 cylinder contribution code with AE and an EGR code because I was running it without the SCT tunes (stock only).

I decided to pull the #8 injector. Nothing found. I pulled 2, 4, and 6 as well. None of them showed anything remarkable.

After I did that, I realized I should have done the balloon test. I balloon tested the other bank and saw nothing.

I picked up some new o-rings today and a replacement injector from the dealer today and reinstalled only to have the exact same problem.

I am stumped. The AE shows a low contribution for #8. My IPR and ICP are reading normal ranges. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to a Ford tech today and he diagnosed a couple of things to look at until I can get it over to him. He asked if it had uneven cranking like it would spin a little faster at one point. Mine does. He thought it could be a problem with a valve bridge not set correctly.
I am going to pull the valve cover and check tonight.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
yeah its possible but you wouldnt hear a hiss youd hear a clatter like the 6.4s get. that or youd have broken rockers and bent pushrods.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled the driver's side valve cover again and checked the valve train again. All the valve bridges, rockers, and push rods look to be in place. I pulled the exhaust side rocker on the #8. The push rod is perfectly straight. The valves are secure and I can not see any visible damage.
I guess the next step is to do a compression test on this side.
If I do not find anything I will do a visual inspection under the passenger side valve cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.