i'm stumped!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i'm stumped!?

Ok guys I'm back again with another problem. Started a few months ago. Stopped driving my truck everyday due to diesel prices and lack of work for a while. On to the point... crank my truck in the morning, no problem, drive 30 miles or so, turn truck off after engine is good and hot, will not crank again for atleast another 4 hours or so, until the engine has cooled. I was told a while back I have some failing injectors which I havent fixed yet, I guess this could be the problem? Or not? I've read HPOP, crankshaft position sensor (changed), camshaft sensor, and a few other things I cant remember. Just lookin for some advice here, im willing to experiment with some things, but I want to start with the cheaper things not the most expensive. All my truck info should be in my signature, if its not just let me know ill post it.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM

No start when hot sounds like HPO sytem, STC fitting, standpipes or dummy plugs, not an expensive fix but labor intensive, at least for mee it was.... sitting for 4 hrs I couldnt tell ya

This was the o-ring on my dummy plug, the culprit in my no hot start...
Attached Thumbnails
i'm stumped!?-dummy-plug.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Deeslvrgn, are there any write ups on these things? I'm not sure where all this is!? And if it is the oring on the dummy plug do I have to replace the whole plug or just the oring?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM

I'll look around for the write ups, the plugs are cheap, any dealer that sells superduties shouls carry themm, the old style have a 10mm hex on em the new ones have 12mm, they're right under the valve covers, not too difficult... the the standpipes are on the firewall side of the heads the dummy plugs up front, you'll see they are similar when you buy them, the heater core plastic cover needs to come of to get the standpipe out on the passenger side, the driver side has the FICM in the way, thats the hard part there, changing the standpipes and dummy plugs takes about 5 minutes and are torqued to 60 ft/lbs each all together in parts was around 120.00 for all 4 pieces

for a write-up just google standpipes and dummy plugs, thats how I found it, but I know on here there are plenty, try the forum search fo no hot start
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Just my theory, when the oil is hot and thin it can't build the required 500psi to start the injectors, now when hot, i get a crank and a half anf fire right up, amazing that a little o-ring will stop these motors in their tracks
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Just an update, took the passenger side valve cover off this evenin. Not a terrible job, looks like the driver side will be a little more challenging. Quick question, found the 10 mm hex heads right under the valve cover, only to figure out the biggest one I have is an 8. Anyway, I saw two hex heads one in the front and one in the back. I'm guessing the front one is the dummy plug and the back one is the standpipe? And r they both the same size hex head? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06kngrnch84 View Post
Just an update, took the passenger side valve cover off this evenin. Not a terrible job, looks like the driver side will be a little more challenging. Quick question, found the 10 mm hex heads right under the valve cover, only to figure out the biggest one I have is an 8. Anyway, I saw two hex heads one in the front and one in the back. I'm guessing the front one is the dummy plug and the back one is the standpipe? And r they both the same size hex head? Thanks in advance.
In answer to both your questions, yes and yes. The replacement ones use a 12mm head, and have white teflon reinforcement rings added to it. Torque them all the 60ft-lbs. when installing.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
In answer to both your questions, yes and yes. The replacement ones use a 12mm head, and have white teflon reinforcement rings added to it. Torque them all the 60ft-lbs. when installing.
before they came out as an update i was whipping lcf dummy plugs and stand pipes in.

Thats another thing to replace. I always replace the stand pipes with the dummy plugs. 9 times outta 10 youll find the orings disintegrated to a degree on the stand pipes and dummy plugs.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 AM

Thanks for all the help, goin to get into it some more this evening. I also want to check my stc fitting while I'm in there but I'm not exactly sure where it is? Driver side? Passenger side? Have to take the turbo out?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Turbo has to be removed, egr cooler need to be removed(at least I did) as well as the intake. I have read the intake does not need to fully be removed to take the HPOP cover off but it'll make it a hell of a lot easier. The HPOP cover is in the back center on the top of the block, the HPOP needs to be removed to take the fitting off then you have to make sure the new fittting is flush/aligned/parellel to the the pump so to speak. When reassembling you may want to loosen the bolts from the exhaust manifolds to the up pipes to give you wiggle room when resealing the turbo and up pipe clamps, I tried for 3 days before I drove it over to the dealer. They charged 200 bucks in labor for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.