What are signs of failed turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are signs of failed turbo?

I was accelerating lightly empty.

Heard a loud crack/wham noise under the hood.

Look in my mirror and see TONS of white smoke.

Have no boost now. Power is gone as well.

Did I just blow my turbo or is something else causing the computer to keep the vanes shut?

I'm throwing no engine codes either. Stock truck. 50K miles.

Guy before me had some banks stuff on it, but it has been removed since around 30K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You could have blown a boost tube, that happened to me on my last trip. Check those first, especially the one under the air filter going into the intercooler, it's hard to see and can even look like it's still attached.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
also, you didn't state what year your truck is, but the 05-07 trucks had plastic intercooler tubes on the driver's side that tend to split.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Signs of a fubar turbo

1. A strong buzzing metallic buzzing. Usually when the bearing goes the turbine or impellar will rub the center housing.
2. PLUMES of black smoke and severe lack of power.
3. If it really is FUBAR it will have oil shooting out of the exhaust.
4. And if its a really really bad FUBAR turbo, That son of a ***** will run wide open and digest its own oil called a runaway. Those are fun. Had an 03 run away on me just pulling it into my bay and a 09 6.4 F550 flat bed run away on me on a road test as well.

More than likely as previously mentioned, cracked plastic CAC tube, blue rubber cac hoses, have seen a failed CAC (intercooler) and the least common but still common not associated by a boom, pop, etc is cracked up pipes.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

" A strong buzzing metallic buzzing. Usually when the bearing goes the turbine or impellar will rub the center housing"

Exactly how long does this process take to destroy a turbo? Mine winds down after shut down and I have this sound that I can hear up top and in the down pipe...like a dry roller bearing slowing down. It sounds normal to a point and this metallic sound picks up in the last 15 seconds of spooldown. You can hear it standing next to the truck in the garage if you're listening for it. I don't like it but can't get a clear explanation as of yet.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. The truck is a 2006.

When I get home I'll check the air cooler tubes/boots thoroughly before taking off the turbo. I had a buddy that had that happen to him. I hope that's the case because that will be a lot cheaper.

The smoke was pure white, like steam, but I drove it home only about a mile after it did this and shut it right off.

Inside the exhaust pipe appears to be a light trace of oil I can feel with my fingertips. There was no blue/black smoke though.

The motor oil level is fine.

I know all about runaways, that sucks. I had a caterpillar do that to me at work. We ended up choking the air intake with a couple T-shirts to get it to shut off. It had spun a bearing by then.

Last edited by tony 340; 06-28-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.