Loss of power no codes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of power no codes?

The last week or so I have noticed that my truck has been running like a dog. It starts perfectly (cranks for 1-2 seconds and starts immediatly with no abnormal sounds). It idles perfectly with no miss. However, from a dead stop if you give it gas (1/3 to 1/2 throttle, to take off some what quickly) it blows black smoke and takes almost 8-10 seconds before it makes any boost. Once it builds boost it seems to run decent and the smoke stops, but doesn't have the power like it use to. I noticed as well that when it does make boost that it doesn't make as much boost as it used to. When I mash the pedal while dirving (wot) it only builds maybee 21-23 psi and acts like it does from a dead stop (blows a little black smoke and takes 8-10 seconds before it builds boost). I pretty sure that it used to climb close to 28 psi and it did it within a couple of seconds. My truck is a 2006 F250 6.0. The motor is stock, I am running an SCT tuner (been running just the 100 hp tune that was written by Toxic Diesel out of St. George, Ut), 4 inch Banks exhaust system (still have the kitty), use diesel kleen at every fill up, fuel filters change 3000 miles ago, oil filter changed and oil changed 3000 miles ago, still have the egr cooler (but has been disabled by the sct programer), and have gauges to monitor EGT, Trans Temp, Boost, EOT, and ECT. I have 89,900 miles on the truck now. I am thinking that maybee my turbo is dirty and sooted up. But at the same time I know that other things can cause the turbo to not function properly. I have also noticed that the turbo farts more than it used to when I let off the gas(not every time, but when I have decent boost built). I am not throwing any codes right now and have no idea where to start. I looked at all of the elbows on the turbo and I can't find an air leak, but doesn't mean that there isn't one (I can't hear any leaks either). Also I might mention that the reason I think that it might be a turbo problem is because I have a short drive to work (only 5 miles one way, which probably isn't good for a diesel from what I have read). Also I pulled my boat to the lake this weekend (with the tow tune on my SCT) and I really put a heavy load on the truck and the problem seemed to get a little bit better. After doing some reading, I have learned that these trucks need to be driven hard to prevent the turbo from getting sooted up. Any help that anyone could give me would be helpful. I would really like to get my truck back to normal and I am willing to do anything to resolve this problem. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also I did a complete coolant flush (thanks to the info I found on this sight) and replaced the coolant with reccomended coolant and a new thermostat. My ECT and EOT temp differentail is never greater than 6-7 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 495
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like your turbo veins are sticking or your turbo vein solonoid could be going. I'd start by pulling the turbo and give it a good cleaning, if that doesn't fix it then it may be the solonoid that controls the turbo vein articulation.

Do you have or know someone who has AutoEnginuity that could pull the soft codes that wouldn't throw a CEL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
Sounds like your turbo veins are sticking or your turbo vein solonoid could be going. I'd start by pulling the turbo and give it a good cleaning, if that doesn't fix it then it may be the solonoid that controls the turbo vein articulation.

Do you have or know someone who has AutoEnginuity that could pull the soft codes that wouldn't throw a CEL?
I don't know anyone that has an AutoEnginuity that could pull the soft codes, but we do have a ford dealership in town. How much would they charge me to have them do this and check my fuel pressure? Also I agree that the turbo probably needs a good cleaning. While I have it out to clean it, should I go ahead and rebuild it with a kit like this? 2005-2007 Ford Diesel 6.0 TURBO OVERHALL KIT SAVES 98% | eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also, I have an SCT tuner. Can I read the FICM voltage with this? Is this something that I should check? Is there anything else that I can read with the tuner that I should be checking that might be related to this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can someone help me with a quick question..... I am going to buy this rebuild kit for my turbo and was wondering if this is all that I will need to buy to complete the job from start to finish? Are there any o-rings, gaskets or other particulars that I might need for other parts that I will have to remove to get to the turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
information regurgitator
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,905
Thanks: 18
Thanked 180 Times in 167 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thats more than you would typically need.
You need a "turbo mounting hardware" kit which is about 8 bucks through Tousley Ford and if you have an electric drill and a wire wheel (cup) and a wire wheel on your bench grinder, you won't need the turbo cleaning kit.
3C3Z-9T514-AD is the turbo hardware kit
4C4Z-9V424-AA is the turbo cleaning kit
in the egr cooler/oil cooler repair link in my signature, there are a few tips and a PDF file for the cleaning process. If you use anti-seize anywhere, only use it on the back of the unison ring and NOT the side that has the vanes. You can also use the anti-seize on the mating surface between the two halves.

That all said, that kit on fleabay isn't a bad kit for the cost. The turbo oil supply line is the updated one and that alone runs in the $150 range. The clamps are about 18-20 bucks each. so that kit isn't a bad price.
As an EDIT: The "VGT" repair kit he has is just a new electrical pigtail. You probably won't need that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Thats more than you would typically need.
You need a "turbo mounting hardware" kit which is about 8 bucks through Tousley Ford and if you have an electric drill and a wire wheel (cup) and a wire wheel on your bench grinder, you won't need the turbo cleaning kit.
3C3Z-9T514-AD is the turbo hardware kit
4C4Z-9V424-AA is the turbo cleaning kit
in the egr cooler/oil cooler repair link in my signature, there are a few tips and a PDF file for the cleaning process. If you use anti-seize anywhere, only use it on the back of the unison ring and NOT the side that has the vanes. You can also use the anti-seize on the mating surface between the two halves.

That all said, that kit on fleabay isn't a bad kit for the cost. The turbo oil supply line is the updated one and that alone runs in the $150 range. The clamps are about 18-20 bucks each. so that kit isn't a bad price.
As an EDIT: The "VGT" repair kit he has is just a new electrical pigtail. You probably won't need that.
So in your opinion I should just buy the turbo hardware kit and the turbo cleaning kit. The truck has 89,900 miles on it. I know that the turbo needs to be cleaned, and I figured while I had it out I would rebuild it. If you think that the turbo is ok, I will just clean it and throw it back in. I just don't want to have to pull the turbo twice if I can help it. I guess I can always pull it out with the intention to just clean it, and if its in need of being rebuilt I will just buy the rebuild kit at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
information regurgitator
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,905
Thanks: 18
Thanked 180 Times in 167 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That isn't exactly what I said.
The kit on ebay comes with the new style turbo oil supply line and a few clamps you MIGHT need. It is not really a full rebuild kit, so to speak. The turbo oil supply line is a good idea, and you can also get that through Tousley as well.
If I was in your shoes, I would get the turbo mounting hardware kit, the turbo oil supply line and if you don't have the cleaning materials to clean out the gunk from inside the turbo, get the cleaning kit as well.
The pdf file for turbo cleaning, I have attached to this reply below. That is the piece of paper you get enclosed with the cleaning kit. If you do not buy the cleaning kit, you can download the pdf file and have written directions on how to clean it.
As an added bonus, I have attached the turbo removal/reinstall PDF file as well.
I still recommend reading the link in my sig about oil/egr cooler replacement for some tips about getting the turbo lined back up with the y-pipe.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 05-26-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Page, Az
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
That isn't exactly what I said.
The kit on ebay comes with the new style turbo oil supply line and a few clamps you MIGHT need. It is not really a full rebuild kit, so to speak. The turbo oil supply line is a good idea, and you can also get that through Tousley as well.
If I was in your shoes, I would get the turbo mounting hardware kit, the turbo oil supply line and if you don't have the cleaning materials to clean out the gunk from inside the turbo, get the cleaning kit as well.
The pdf file for turbo cleaning, I have attached to this reply below. That is the piece of paper you get enclosed with the cleaning kit. If you do not buy the cleaning kit, you can download the pdf file and have written directions on how to clean it.
As an added bonus, I have attached the turbo removal/reinstall PDF file as well.
I still recommend reading the link in my sig about oil/egr cooler replacement for some tips about getting the turbo lined back up with the y-pipe.
Thanks so much for your input. You don't happen to have the udated oil supply line part number do you? Aslo in the link to the kit that I provided, does it look like the kit comes with the turbo mounting hardware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors