ECT/EOT 10* difference - How long do I have? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to texas_psd
ECT/EOT 10* difference - How long do I have?

I installed my Insight CS monitor this weekend and went for a drive. After about 10 miles at a steady 65 mph, my ECT was 194* and my EOT was 204*. Ambient temp was 98*. My truck is an '06 with 79k on the clock. Coolant was changed at 75k miles, oil is fresh Shell T6. Mods are a 6" lift with 35s and Matt's SRL tune. She serves as a daily driver and sees light towing (3,500 lbs) a couple of times per month.

My question is, "How long do I have before something pops?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In regards to the coolant flush, was it a proper flush with restore & restore + and switching to an ELC coolant (not Ford Gold)? Did you also install an inline coolant filter?

In regards to "how long"? There's really no way to gauge that. Based on your current delta I'd say it's on its way out but there's really no way to say for sure how long you have.

As a comparison I just pulled a boat (bass boat on single axle) from the metroplex to Lake Granbury this weekend and back. My delta never got above 7*.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't even see a 15 degree delta. More like 10-12.. then 1 day sitting in traffic I smelled coolant in the cab.. delete the Egr asap. It might save the oil cooler.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 PM
information regurgitator

I wouldn't be overly concerned with a ten degree delta. Not yet anyway. You may have 6 months, 6 weeks or a year. It all depends on the junk floating around in your coolant or just the general health of the coolant itself.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately, I replaced the coolant with the Ford Gold and no filter. It's brand-new coolant but still the Ford Gold. From my reading here though, it isn't that big of a deal if the coolant is replaced every 50k miles. However, I go to the Fleetrite or similar when I replace the oil and EGR coolers.

MJP, thanks for the advice. I wish I could ditch the EGR cooler, but I live in Houston, TX (Harris County is the Californica of the south) so I won't pass emissions without it. Bulletproof Diesel makes a nice, albeit expensive, EGR cooler. I'll probably go that route when it's time. Plus, EGR is turned off in my tune. Any leakage will be minimal, so I just need to make sure the cooler is in good shape and doesn't leak.

I guess my question is more around when the failure occurs. Is it mileage or time related, will things last longer with my granny style of driving, etc? Just trying to gauge if I can wait until next spring or summer. I have to remodel my wife's kitchen first or risk bodily harm. LOL!!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM
information regurgitator

Granny driving it will bring about more problems. Soot build up in the intake, on the egr valve, internal to the turbo are but a few. The consequences of severe soot build up in the turbo can actually make the vanes stick. If those vanes stick in a "high boost" it can overboost the engine beyond what it is designed for. Serious engine damage could occur.

Plus, it just ain't cool seeing a superduty crawling down the highway. The 6.0 wants to run, run hard and free.

The failure of the oil cooler/EGR coolers is coolant related, more specifically the maintenance of your cooling system.

I have recently been looking harder at the Ford Gold coolant and have found something interesting to say the least. Ford says that the additive package for the coolant should never fall below 800ppm (recommend 800-1200ppm IIRC). Now, one would think that if you go buy a new jug of Ford Gold, it should exceed that number. It does not. It comes very close, but it is lower. So, if you use the Ford recommendation for additives, you would have to add to the coolant upon installation. So, maintenance of the cooling system using the Ford Gold requires more than just changing coolant at the set intervals. It requires STRICT and frequent checking.

Not too long ago, I would say that if you had a good oil cooler (as judged by your delta) and you had reached the effective 'end of life' for the Ford Gold, you could just flush your system out with clean distilled water and refill with the Ford Gold. After reading this information I found on another forum, I will never recommend doing that.

Either go get the test strips from Ford and test your coolant, or get that garbage out of there ASAP. This is my new 'hardline stance' on the Ford Gold from now on.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 06-28-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_psd View Post
I wish I could ditch the EGR cooler, but I live in Houston, TX (Harris County is the Californica of the south) so I won't pass emissions without it.
Wait... What? Diesel's are exempt from emissions testing in the state of Texas, all you have to get is the $14.50 saftey inspection. Just had mine done 2 weeks ago with the CEL on, no cat exhaust and all. Passed no problem, they don't even hook up to the OBD port just check to make sure the lights and horn works basically.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

"Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection."

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Items of Inspection

05.02 Inspect Every Pickup, Panel, or Truck Under 80 Inches Wide For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) Parking - (beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models) (mea-sure if 1959 model or earlier)
18. Head Lamps (2)
19. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
20. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
21. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Granny driving it will bring about more problems. Soot build up in the intake, on the egr valve, internal to the turbo are but a few. The consequences of severe soot build up in the turbo can actually make the vanes stick. If those vanes stick in a "high boost" it can overboost the engine beyond what it is designed for. Serious engine damage could occur.

Plus, it just ain't cool seeing a superduty crawling down the highway. The 6.0 wants to run, run hard and free.
She gets floored a couple of times every 375-400 miles (i.e. every tank of fuel) and half throttle maybe every other day. Do you think that's enough to combat the soot buildup? Oh, and running hard and free ain't for me. LOL! At 65 mph, I get 16 mpg. At 80 mph, I get 12 mpg. With $100+ fill ups, I gotta take it easy with the lead foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
Wait... What? Diesel's are exempt from emissions testing in the state of Texas, all you have to get is the $14.50 saftey inspection. Just had mine done 2 weeks ago with the CEL on, no cat exhaust and all. Passed no problem, they don't even hook up to the OBD port just check to make sure the lights and horn works basically.
True, they are exempt from emissions testing but not an emissions inspection. The emissions systems must be visually inspected to ensure they are present and not tampered with. IMHO, the county or state with force emissions testing for diesels in the next few years anyways (if not for the environment, then for the revenue), so better safe than sorry.

See item #11 of your list and the following link - Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection/Rejection Criteria
20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or operator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

The exhaust emission system was installed by manufacturers of motor vehicles beginning with model year 1968. The inspection of the exhaust emission system will apply only to those vehicles that are equipped with such a system. The following exhaust emission systems will be inspected if installed as original equipment by the manufacturer: thermostatic air cleaner, exhaust gas recirculation system, positive crankcase ventilation system, air injection system, evaporative emission system, and/or catalytic converter.

If installed as original equipment by the manufacturer, the catalytic converter will be considered a part of the exhaust emission system on all 1984 and later model vehicles. It will be inspected as a part of the exhaust system on prior to 1984 model vehicles.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
She gets floored a couple of times every 375-400 miles (i.e. every tank of fuel) and half throttle maybe every other day. Do you think that's enough to combat the soot buildup? Oh, and running hard and free ain't for me.
Running cetane boost will help lessen the soot build up. Beating it like a red headed step-child that owes you money and called your wife bad names is more fun though.
I run the "diesel kleen" brand. You can find it at most auto parts stores. Even wally world has it.
Also, do not idle your engine for extended periods of time. Sitting in traffic is one thing, letting it run for 10 minutes will clog it up quick.
If you must allow your truck to idle for a long time, you should do the "high idle mod" which would automatically raise your idle speed to 1200 rpm. That would prevent the soot build up.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I replaced the coolant with the Ford Gold and no filter. It's brand-new coolant but still the Ford Gold. From my reading here though, it isn't that big of a deal if the coolant is replaced every 50k miles. However, I go to the Fleetrite or similar when I replace the oil and EGR coolers.

MJP, thanks for the advice. I wish I could ditch the EGR cooler, but I live in Houston, TX (Harris County is the Californica of the south) so I won't pass emissions without it. Bulletproof Diesel makes a nice, albeit expensive, EGR cooler. I'll probably go that route when it's time. Plus, EGR is turned off in my tune. Any leakage will be minimal, so I just need to make sure the cooler is in good shape and doesn't leak.

I guess my question is more around when the failure occurs. Is it mileage or time related, will things last longer with my granny style of driving, etc? Just trying to gauge if I can wait until next spring or summer. I have to remodel my wife's kitchen first or risk bodily harm. LOL!!
I will give my 2 cents worth,get that kitchen remodeled first. LOL..JK
My truck is a 2004 with only 42k on it,in my mine I was like there aint nothing wrong with my truck,no way.Well last year once I got my edge cs hooked I found out I had a 20 plus degree delta,so as far as mileage IMO it probably does not.That being sad I didnt change my coolant at 5 years either.I actually just drained the ford gold out a few weeks back and just completed my flushes about a week ago in preparation for a new oil cooler and egr delete.

One of the guys I work with has a 2006 only had 36k and blow the head gaskets,it was still under warranty they replaced the head gaskets,oil cooler not sure about egr coolerand put gol coolant back in it.I am currently trying to get hime to at least put a coolant filter on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.