CYL 4 Missfire??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CYL 4 Missfire???

New to the forums but this one has got me stumped. Truck is an 03 with SCT Performance tune and muffler and cat delete. Noticed about 2 days ago at an idle the truck was running slightly rough. Took it out and drove it and under WOT the truck has no power and smokes black big time. Took it into work, hooked up the IDS and found that cyl 4 is dropping at idle and trucks acting like the turbo is stuck. Picked up a new injector grabbed some tools and went to my shop and installed a new cyl 4 inj and removed the turbo and cleaned which it really needed. Got it all back together and drove back to work to drop my tools off and found that its still dropping at idle and has no power. Hooked the IDS back up and found cyl 4 is still dropping at idle. Ran KOER self test and found cyl 4 contribution. Ok possiblely bad inj from Ford from the factory, wouldnt be the first one I seen. Ran relative compression and all cyls are equal at 0. After running the relative compression truck is a crank no start. Ok checked ICP and is low from 320-410 psi. Maybe cut the D ring on the inj? Well let it set for about an hour and truck restarted so I figured I cut the D ring, took it home for the night didnt have time to dig back into it.

Next day take it in and cyl 4 is still dropping, removed inj and found no cuts in the d ring, no obvious signs of damage to HP rail. Had another guy crank it over and found no oil leaks on that rail visible to the eye after 30 secs of cranking. Found that one of the o rings on the line from the stand pipe to the HP rail was slightly messed up, didnt have one at the dealership so just put it back in to get the truck out, installed another new inj into cyl 4 and test drove it again and still the exact same concern. Anyone with any ideas? Im kinda stumped, thinking maybe possibly a FICM issue but theres no codes for it, voltage was 48-47.5 while cranking. Cabs getting lifted for studs and egr delete in 2 weeks so I figured I could pressure test the HP oil system then when the ICP is easy to get to unless someone knows of an easier way? Thanks in advance and there is alot of good info on this Forum!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa03 View Post
New to the forums but this one has got me stumped. Truck is an 03 with SCT Performance tune and muffler and cat delete. Noticed about 2 days ago at an idle the truck was running slightly rough. Took it out and drove it and under WOT the truck has no power and smokes black big time. Took it into work, hooked up the IDS and found that cyl 4 is dropping at idle and trucks acting like the turbo is stuck. Picked up a new injector grabbed some tools and went to my shop and installed a new cyl 4 inj and removed the turbo and cleaned which it really needed. Got it all back together and drove back to work to drop my tools off and found that its still dropping at idle and has no power. Hooked the IDS back up and found cyl 4 is still dropping at idle. Ran KOER self test and found cyl 4 contribution. Ok possiblely bad inj from Ford from the factory, wouldnt be the first one I seen. Ran relative compression and all cyls are equal at 0. After running the relative compression truck is a crank no start. Ok checked ICP and is low from 320-410 psi. Maybe cut the D ring on the inj? Well let it set for about an hour and truck restarted so I figured I cut the D ring, took it home for the night didnt have time to dig back into it.

Next day take it in and cyl 4 is still dropping, removed inj and found no cuts in the d ring, no obvious signs of damage to HP rail. Had another guy crank it over and found no oil leaks on that rail visible to the eye after 30 secs of cranking. Found that one of the o rings on the line from the stand pipe to the HP rail was slightly messed up, didnt have one at the dealership so just put it back in to get the truck out, installed another new inj into cyl 4 and test drove it again and still the exact same concern. Anyone with any ideas? Im kinda stumped, thinking maybe possibly a FICM issue but theres no codes for it, voltage was 48-47.5 while cranking. Cabs getting lifted for studs and egr delete in 2 weeks so I figured I could pressure test the HP oil system then when the ICP is easy to get to unless someone knows of an easier way? Thanks in advance and there is alot of good info on this Forum!!!
Before id whip an expensive ficm in, if it were my truck id first say screw the relative compression test. Ive had that give false readings BIG TIME. Especially when diagnosing a 6.4. Id do a manual compression test or shove a borescope down and inspect it. Before id even do that! Id pull the oil fill cap at idle and verify whether it is or isnt a base engine concern. if it puffs like a choo choo train out of the oil fill tube on the right hand valve cover you know theres blow by... Then id go in with the manual compression test and the Borescope.

Have you tried wiggling the injector harness while in power balance mode? How about in power balance mode do the injector interrupter and not cancel 4 but watch whether or not 4 drops. Remember with the interrupter on, it brings all 8 injectors to a pre-determined level of fuel and timing to help further diag an engine performance issue. They should not deviate not 1 bit. If cyl 4 drops -10 -20 -40 -60 then you know its the injector not firing or a base engine concern.

As for your HPO leak id fix that while i was in there.

Get an assistant have them monitor the power balance test and you go in and wiggle the harness while the engines running. make sure they look for any further deviation or whether cyl 4 comes back up. then either repair the harness or replace it.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM

No I ran outta time yesterday kinda got at it late and the shop was closing up so I had to get outta there. I too have had the power balance show miss readings but never actually be completely wrong. Not saying it cant happen, I guess at this point im hoping its not happening! HA just seems strange that it would drop a cyl or melt something and I wasnt even beating on it when it started to happen. I do believe a manual compresson test is the next thing I do before I rip the heads off. The HOP leak will be a bit easier to find with the cab off when I do the heads IMHO since its an 03 with the ICP in the back. Truck seems to run smoother when first cold started and then starts to roughen up once it gets warmer. Ill check the oil cap thing in the morning, never even thought about that for blow-by. Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
i can get the icp with the intake on on those engines. Dude all you have to do is use a 3 or 4 inch extension with a 3/8ths u joint and a regular 80 tooth snap on ratchet (sometimes a flex head works sometimes it doesnt) have to remove heat shield by ficm going from ficm bracket to exhaust shield by up pipe.

The engine has to be COLD otherwise you arent getting it out same with ipr. I have the snap on icp socket and bought my own IPR socket as well. i dont pull intake and turbo to get either out on early or late build 6.0s if you want the snap on number ill post it after work.

My shop you come and go as you please, i love it there, i hate being only able to be in building 40 hrs unless i have side work, even at 40 hrs i still only produce 50-55 (why i refuse to work on cars hybrids only diesels and trucks 250s+) stay late and have a few ROs and see the parts guy before he leaves, whip out injectors, high pressure oil leaks, lack of boost concerns even 6.4 short blocks. Usually thats what after hrs for me are, nightmare jobs so by 7-9 im dead beat tired. those are the best weeks when i stay late upwards of 70hrs flat rate.

Last edited by PowerstrokeTech82787; 06-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM

HAHA I wish our shop would do that, at 7 on weekdays the doors are closed and we have no keys to get in and on Sat its 5. Kind of a screwy deal if you ask me. I agree on the working on diesels only if our service writer would do that but he dont. Yea I put an ICP in the truck when I bought it just kind of a pain in the *** when its hot cuz you drive it to work and its your DD. My other car has the motor yanked outta it so im kinda screwed on the time frame I have to work on my car.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Sorry guys know this is an old one but got kinda busy lately and didnt get to post back. Was not able to find any HP oil leak and with the IPR removed it confirmed my beliefs that the pump was going out, found high metal content in the IPR screen. To me this still didnt make sense of why cyl 4 would keep dropping. So I rmeoved the injector again and inspected for a cracked head and was not able to find anything. Eventually figured I would fix what I know is wrong first. Ripped the HPOP out and installed Ford Reman, put all back together and fired right up, truck ran smooth as could be with better power then ever. Also did the blue spring upgrade at the same time. The only thing I can think is that with the way the 03 rails are designed that due to the lower HPO and probably air pockets being introduced from the pump that it would make cyl 4 drop. Maybe because the HP line connects to the rail right by cyl 4? This I dont know. Just thought I would post back for anyone else that runs into something weird like this. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.