6.0 engine miss with no check eng light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 engine miss with no check eng light

I've got a 2004 6.0 with 57K miles, bought new, stock, and no previous problems. Luck ran out though. A month or so ago, I developed a miss while traveling about 45 or 50 MPH and of coarse a rough idle. Several minutes later it cleared up and still no check engine light after several miles. Same thing happened yesterday only now it's a miss that didnt go away after driving 50 miles back home. Still no check engine light. Is there a way I can check which cylinder is dead without scan tool/programs? I have a basic understanding of the 6.0 and functions. Do all EGR problems like EGR tube plugged set codes? Possible stuck injector on the mechanical side? Thanks, Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan3658 View Post
Is there a way I can check which cylinder is dead without scan tool/programs?
Not that I know of. Consider buying the AutoEnginuity system with the Ford bundle if you want to do in depth diagnosis on your own.

Quote:
Do all EGR problems like EGR tube plugged set codes?
No, they do not.Do you have gauges on your truck? What do they read?

Quote:
Possible stuck injector on the mechanical side? Thanks, Bryan
If it was injector related, you would likely get codes. Multiple codes.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Sure there is. I do 6.0 side jobs all the time if i cant borrow my buddies modis, or walk out with the ids and vcm all i do is just like i would on my race car. Instead of pulling 1 spark plug wire at a time to diagnose which cylinder is missing, i unplug 1 injector at a time.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Poss. ICP or low FICM voltage.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having the exact same issues with my '06 until yesterday, turned out the number one injector was injecting fuel, just enough fuel to keep the check engine light from coming on. The dealership warrantied the injector, because it is smog regulated equipment and replaced it for free.

The symptoms on mine were identical, started really rough, ran rough until it came up to temperature and I could feel a slight miss when I was at about 1/8-1/4 throttle. When I got on it, the truck ran fine.

With the new injector it runs like it did when it was new, even on a cold start...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
I hope your out of California im not gettin flagged warranty time on a 6.0 if thats considered "emissions equipment".
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in California, the land of the severly taxed and home of the over-regulated. The injector is not "emissions equipment" it is emissions regulated. I can't have a tuner, because it creates to much emissions, nor can I remove my cat and increase the size of my exhaust system. I was at the dealer a month ago and a poor guy was buying a cat (because he had removed his) for his '02 7.3 to the tune of 2600.00 for his emissions check.

Since the injectors have a tendency to fail on the 6.0, the government in California require Ford to fix them, the service manager slipped and said the injectors are covered for 7 years, not the 5/100,000 original factory warranty on the motor.

They replaced it for free, I am not complaining...
Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been having the same issue with my 2006 6.0 165k mi. It used to only miss until the truck was up to normal temp, now it does it pretty regular, especially doing 50-60 mph. My truck doenst have a problem starting though, and it starts like it always has. The check engine light hasnt came on either. I did have the #6 injector replaced about a month ago, but when that injector went bad it didnt miss or anything like it is now, it just started smoking really bad while i was sitting at a red light. The guy who replaced it also cleaned my EGR valve too. Could this be an injector as well, just acting differently? Any help would be appreicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.