In bad need of advice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In bad need of advice!

Newb to the site. Tried another site first and have not recieved any advice. Maybe you can be of assistance. Any helpwill be greatly appreciated.

Replaced degass bottle today after noticing a crack at the bottom. Refilled coolant to the min. line. Drove the truck to town and back (about 8 miles) and upon returning checked coolant level with truck still running. The coolant was near the bottom of the jug!!!!!!!!!!! I killed the engine and stood watching the bottle wondering what had happened. within 30 seconds the jug level raised back to the min. line. I noticed previous threads stating it should be at Min mark at operating temp. Anyone know if this is normal or a sign of pending doom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I am guessing you have a 6.0? Post your question in the 6.0 problems forum and you will get more answers. Also, it will help to post information about your truck(year,motor, mods, etc) to help get a more specified answer. Any problems with the motor prior to replacing the degas bottle? There was an update via Ford TSB that is a sticker which moves the CORRECT fill line to a different spot. Not sure if it comes with a new degas bottle but I imagine it would.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, it is a 06 F250 with thew 6.0 No mods to date and it has 166,000 miles. I had to trade in my 09 F350 with the 6.4 a few months back due to slowing buisness, so I cant say it has never been tuned, but the Oasis report was clean. The new jug did have the sticker. Is there a way to move the thread to the other forum or do I need to start over? Thanks for your response.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

You can ask a moderator to do it or just start another thread..probably easier to just start another one. Good luck
Old 06-26-2011, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for your help and your Service. Good lookin truck. How had was it to put the 08 equip on the 06? I just traded a 09 in on this truck and miss those features.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Lizzard View Post
Newb to the site. Tried another site first and have not recieved any advice. Maybe you can be of assistance. Any helpwill be greatly appreciated.

Replaced degass bottle today after noticing a crack at the bottom. Refilled coolant to the min. line. Drove the truck to town and back (about 8 miles) and upon returning checked coolant level with truck still running. The coolant was near the bottom of the jug!!!!!!!!!!! I killed the engine and stood watching the bottle wondering what had happened. within 30 seconds the jug level raised back to the min. line. I noticed previous threads stating it should be at Min mark at operating temp. Anyone know if this is normal or a sign of pending doom?
My coolant level was doing the same thing. Later, I did a coolant flush and in the process changed the thermostat. The coolant level never fluctuated after that, so my advice would be to change the thermostat.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
moved the thread for ya
Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Yes, it is a 06 F250 with thew 6.0 No mods to date and it has 166,000 miles. I had to trade in my 09 F350 with the 6.4 a few months back due to slowing buisness, so I cant say it has never been tuned, but the Oasis report was clean. The new jug did have the sticker. Is there a way to move the thread to the other forum or do I need to start over? Thanks for your response.
If it had a clean oasis, and has 166,000 miles on it, and was a recent trade to the dealer, you need to check out your temps.
No, i am not talking about those idiot-light gauges you have on the dash already. You need some REAL gauges to monitor/check your coolant temp and your oil temps. Those temperature readings are critical. They will tip you off to a serious problem before major engine damage can occur.
Reason why I am concerned for you is that many MANY 6.0's get traded in with a plugged oil cooler and a failed EGR cooler. The previous owner probably knew what was happening and decided to trade instead of fixing the problem. The new owner does not know what to look for and drives the truck. This can lead to head gasket failure.
There is a link in my signature line, "basic info" that will run down many things a new 6.0 owner should know, including what gauges are needed, why they are needed and what you are looking for.

The scangauge2 runs about $165 and is available at most autoparts stores. It will monitor the just about everything you want to monitor.

If, after getting your gauges on, you find that you too are a victim of someone trading in a problem, you could get the dealer to fix it while on warranty. If there was no warranty, there is another link in my signature that will walk you through an oil cooler/EGR cooler replacement.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Thank you for your help and your Service. Good lookin truck. How had was it to put the 08 equip on the 06? I just traded a 09 in on this truck and miss those features.
Thanks for the appreciation. You will find there are alot of helpful and willing people on this forum, not to mention loads of information. As for the 08+ mods, they were all pretty easy. The two things that took the most time were wiring up the mirrors and trying to get the wiring all working right, and then running/soldering the wires for the backup camera since it is the OEM camera (actually for sale right now)

Made the truck look 100 times better which was hard to do since she's already a sexy beast.

Good luck with your truck. Since you just got it I would look into these threads to get you started. They are some good material on our trucks.

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

There are a few others but I cant find them right now. Take a look and be ready to learn...lol
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did your engine light come on? Did the degass bottle overflow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.