Oil Analysis Results - What do you think? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oil Analysis Results - What do you think?

My truck has seemed to take longer to start than it should and the analysis found excessive fuel in the oil as well as a few other things. I haven't changed the air filter since the gauge says it is fine, but I'll be doing that this weekend. I took the sample when I changed the oil Saturday (sample was taken hot) and I noticed a few drops of oil coming from around the inspection plug on the transmission. I moved the rubber plug around and it was wet with what looked like engine oil. What do you think I should do? My warranty runs out in October; should I take the truck to Ford with the analysis results and get them to fix the leak and check the injectors? The truck was in the shop for a leaking bed plate and other gaskets this time last year.

What is the high Iron and Copper a sign of?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
Oil Analysis Results - What do you think?-oil-analysis.jpg  

Last edited by mks8882; 06-23-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think a contribution/ balance test should show a bad injector, so maybe tell them your results and have them run that test. The oil leak could be from the rear main seal, of the tech didn't seal the rear engine plate correctly. There is a part on the passenger side of the block between the plate and block that is a void area, but i was told that it needs to be sealed with silicone on all parts of that void. I'd take it back

I had mine in for an oil leak in the same place. The first time he replaced the rear main and updated holder (which may have already been standard on your engine), and the second time he resealed the bedplate
Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What about the high Iron and Copper, what is that a sign of?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That I'm not too sure of
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine bearings have copper. They have a coating layer and then it goes down into copper..... Means that the bottom end is starting to wear.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks8882 View Post
My truck has seemed to take longer to start than it should and the analysis found excessive fuel in the oil as well as a few other things. I haven't changed the air filter since the gauge says it is fine, but I'll be doing that this weekend. I took the sample when I changed the oil Saturday (sample was taken hot) and I noticed a few drops of oil coming from around the inspection plug on the transmission. I moved the rubber plug around and it was wet with what looked like engine oil. What do you think I should do? My warranty runs out in October; should I take the truck to Ford with the analysis results and get them to fix the leak and check the injectors? The truck was in the shop for a leaking bed plate and other gaskets this time last year.

What is the high Iron and Copper a sign of?

Thanks in advance!
I change my air filter every 12,000 miles or so, have been told that pop out indicator is like the factory dash gages after you see it is too late.

Also as note have found my MPG’s drop about a half a mile and then more after 15,000 miles so with the price of fuel one recovers the cost of the air filter in changing it often.

As to the iron / copper issue Blackstone touched on the maybes, after having a motor taken apart as down as yours I would be changing the oil and filter within 1,000 to 1,500 miles after getting it back to get any junk that may have gotten into the motor, its cheep prevention. Then having Blackstone test an sample after another 2,500 miles to make sure everything was put back correctly.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Your high fuel and hard starting may go back to your FICM having an issue.

Do you have gages / monitor like a ScanGage II installed ?

Look into the voltages you may have a problem there related to the fuel in the oil.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They tore it down at around 39,000 miles. I changed the engine oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, trans oil, and both trans filters around ~41,500. It has 46,700 on it now. I'll have to dig the paperwork up and see what all they replaced on it.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an SCT handheld tuner, not sure if it will monitor voltages? The only gauges I have in the truck are EGT, boost, and trans temp.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It has seemed to start better since I changed the oil if that means anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.