Possible stuck turbo vanes or ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible stuck turbo vanes or ???

After running my 05 PSD for any length of time...if I shut it down I'm not really getting a nice silent spool down of the turbo. It's sort of "noisy" in my opinion. After all else is silenced...the turbo is still spinning down and it kinda sounds like its "rubbing" something slightly...although I'm sure its not really doing that or it would have come apart by now. The inducer fan blades are not touching and the shaft play is nill if anything. The truck runs great otherwise as far as I know.

Could carboned up vanes stick and cause strange noises if they are not doing what they are supposed to do upon shutdown? I also don't get much "whistle" at idle like I've heard other trucks. The exhaust note at idle doesn't really sound like it even has a turbo.

The spool up upon acceleration is good and the psi readings show what could be considered normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM
information regurgitator

If you have the catalytic converter and a muffler you won't hear much out of an 05 turbo anyway.

What you describe is pretty much the very same thing I hear at shutdown. Got no worries.....
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
your not really going to hear the turbo if its got stock exhaust. If you have straight pipes going to stacks or just straight pipes (no cat no muffler) youll hear the difference in the exhaust note by the pitch of the whistle youll hear it when the vanes are commanded open and closed. Wouldnt hurt to clean it, i upsell 6.0 turbo cleanings as often as i can as preventative maintenance. plus it pays pretty good considering it only takes 45 minutes to remove it tear it down clean it put it back together and reinstall it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Well...not hearing the turbo thru the exhaust is understandable. I can hear it real well when driving around. The sounds I speak of are when I have someone shut down for me and I'm right there with the hood open and I got my face right up there next to the turbo.

I've thought and thought about how to describe the sound...and the best I've come up with is the sound a skate board makes going along on a sidewalk. It makes that sound until it fades away and the turbo stops totally. I've just got to get myself around some other trucks and listen to them to understand what I'm hearing.

Otherwise...I've wanted to remove the turbo and now sounds like a good time to do it. Anything I should buy in advance such as gaskets or upgrade parts that should be replaced on an 05? Oil drain line?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
information regurgitator

Your 05 likely has the most up to date turbo oil rain tube. It probably does not have the up to date turbo oil supply line. If the supply line has a flexible braided stainless steel flex joint in it, it should be replaced with the solid oil supply line.

The turbo mounting hardware kit (about 8 bucks @ Tousley Ford) is about all you will need. You can clean the exhaust side of the turbo fairly easily with an electric drill and a wire cup you can get at the local hardware store for under 10 bucks.

Take a good look at your boost boots. If they are covered in grime, it is time to replace them. The reason is that the crankcase vent is just prior to the turbo. The tubo will suck out the oily mist and push it through the entire intake stream. The boots are made of silicone, which breaks down with the presence of oil. The grime is actually oil that has been pushed through the boot from the interior by the boost pressure, and the dirt in the air sticking to that oil. When you see the grime, it is only a matter of time before they fail.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Ehhhh...this turbo just doesn't sound right. Sorry to keep repeating myself...but there is no way its supposed to sound like it does on shutdown. Its just too noisy and its really bugging me now. Going to drive a 2004 today. Hope that turbo is close enough to mine to see what shutdown "sounds" like...assuming its not messed up too!

Anyhow...I have just done a CCV mod to prevent the crankcase oily vapors from entering the turbo and intercooler piping. And I'm replacing the plastic intercooler pipe with a metal unit...and all the boots. So I'll be good there soon. My boots are a little "oily" but not bad like some I've seen.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi:
I have noticed my truck 06 has started making noise on shutdown. Sort of sounds like my old shopvac when I turn it off. Hope the turbo bearings are not on their way out. Let me know what you find out on yours Thx
Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 PM

The only thing I can think to do is take the turbo off, clean it and inspect it well for any signs of a problem. My thinking is that if the bearings are "bad" to the point it can't handle spool down without a problem...how is it handling full speed and not having any issues?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Neil:

The truck runs fine. truck has only 125k or about 75,000 miles. It goes into the shop on tuesday for l.o.f. and a tranny flush. We will see what the ford dealer has to say.

Graeme
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM

What did you find out Graeme?

Mine is still "buzzing" on spool down...about 2 seconds into the key-off state. With my hand on the compressor (inducer) housing while running...and then shut off...I can feel the vibration to what I'm hearing. Something is definately amiss to what I feel should be a smooth and silent ordeal. It's like an out of balance state...yet that simply cannot be true or it would explode at high rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.