Which cleaner clogs oil cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which cleaner clogs oil cooler?

With which cleaner do you run the risk of clogging a good oil cooler. Restore or Restore plus? Or both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh boy, thats a can of worms. Lets see if I can word this correctly. My personal feelings are that the Restore will remove the silicate goo left by the ford gold coolant and its does a great job. The Restore Plus / VC9 is an iron de-scaler and it does its job very well also. If your engine has a lot of internal scale there is a very good chance the use of the Restore Plus will help all that newly liberated material find it’s way to your oil cooler. Your oil cooler has the smallest passages in the entire cooling system. I personally used the restore only in my truck with 60K miles and NOT the Restore Plus. I am running ELC coolant and my delta is 4 deg.
If your truck has high miles then I would use both products and plan on changing an oil cooler. If low miles I would use just the restore, change to CAT EC-1 rated coolant and watch your delta between EOT and ECT. In any case you need a coolant filter for a 6.0. and a monitoring solution like a Scangauge or Edge Insight.

HERE ARE SOME LINKS FOR YOU. WELCOME TO THE ORG

My el Cheapo coolant filter.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/red...h%2520v1-0.pdf

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-maintanence-info/

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 06-21-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Oh boy, thats a can of worms. Lets see if I can word this correctly. My personal feelings are that the Restore will remove the silicate goo left by the ford gold coolant and its does a great job. The Restore Plus / VC9 is an iron de-scaler and it does its job very well also. If your engine has a lot of internal scale there is a very good chance the use of the Restore Plus will help all that newly liberated material find it’s way to your oil cooler. Your oil cooler has the smallest passages in the entire cooling system. I personally used the restore only in my truck with 60K miles and NOT the Restore Plus. I am running ELC coolant and my delta is 4 deg.
If your truck has high miles then I would use both products and plan on changing an oil cooler. If low miles I would use just the restore, change to CAT EC-1 rated coolant and watch your delta between EOT and ECT. In any case you need a coolant filter for a 6.0. and a monitoring solution like a Scangauge or Edge Insight.
Nice dance, HAM_RADIO_MAN !

It isn't the cleaner that clogs up the oil cooler.
The crap that is built up in your cooling system does. The question back to you is, how much neglect has your cooling system seen? How many miles are on that coolant in there now? What are your ECT/EOT 's?
If you don't know, find out, now. When you reach the threshold where replacement of the oil and EGR coolers is recommended, then that is the time to consider flushing the system using BOTH chemicals (and depending on how bad your cooling system is, a reverse flush, a heater core flush and a radiator flush done separately).
Check out this link to a paper written by a forum member here by the name of "nylyon" awesome information! <click me>
Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My E450 only has 16,852 miles on it, engine has been trouble free. Sounds like I should be ok with the RESTORE, but no need for RESTORE PLUS.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That’s the plan I would go with. I can’t stress enough that you MUST get a monitoring solution and a coolant filtration system. The factory guages are little more than dummy lights and they won't tell you that there is a problem untill it's going to cost you big money. A Scan Guage cost less than $200 from Bullet Proof Diesel and comes pre programed for your 6.oh.
I didn’t see how old the motor is, so even with such low miles you could have a lot of scale in the system.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 06-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My coolant filter from dieselsite will be here today. I can't believe how much they want for guages. I haven't bought a monitoring guage yet
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
information regurgitator

try scangauge2 for the electronic monitor. They can be had for 165 bucks (cheaper if you can find a group buy). They can be programmed for many parameters on the 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.