Disappearing Coolant?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disappearing Coolant??

So I've read a pile of threads all revolving around head gaskets, egr issues, water pumps, and the clogged cooling systems, that seemingly make the 6.0 overheat in random situations... I'm having the same issue with my '04, but here are the specifics...

After about 300-400 miles of driving (towing or empty), the fan will kick on and eventually within only a few more miles the temp will start to creep up. I typicaaly keep 2 gallons of distilled water with me simply because I havent been able to pinpoint the problem... after dumping close to both gallons of water in the coolant tank, the temp recovers and I'm fine driving for yet another 300-400 miles.

I did have a faulty coolant cap, which I have since replaced, and I can see zero leaks anywhere either in the engine compartment or under the truck. When I first got the truck (6 weeks ago) I did notice that the coolant tank was REALLY grungy with crap that had the same consistency of 3 week old pudding. I removed the tank and cleaned it, and have yet to see any other gunk come back into it.

The motor is completely stock, no aftermarket anything except air intake. It still has the EGR cooler, which I'm thinking may be culprit since is was replaced under warranty by the previous owner.

I simply just can't figure out where a gallon of water is going every few hundred miles or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM
information regurgitator

Gauges gauges gauges. Get them, NOW.
Next thing is, park your truck on an incline, nose down. Remove the egr valve from the intake and leave it like this overnight.
In the morning, look down into the intake. See wetness? You have found your coolant leak. It is a bad EGR cooler AND your oil cooler is toast as well.

Replace them together and as a set. You need both. The oil cooler clogging is what has compromised the EGR cooler. The coolant leaves the oil cooler and is routed directly to the EGR cooler. Since the coolant flow is slowed by the clogging oil cooler, the (up to 1000F) exhaust gases will flash boil the little bit of coolant in the cooler. The boiling and the overheating of the cooler splits the cooler internally, creating an internal coolant leak. This will eventually cost you a set of head gaskets if you ignore it and just keep dumping water into it. The coolant (actually water in this case) will follow the exhaustr gases straight into the combustion chambers, raise the compression beyond what the stock head bolts can maintain and there go your head gaskets. This can also crack your heads (typically at the exhaust valve seat).
It can also hydrolock your engine. When you shut the truck off, the EGR cooler can continue to leak. The leak is higher than the exhaust manifold on the passenger side (EGR cooler connection is just before the turbo on the passenger side). Then the coolant (in your case water) will flow into the exhaust manifold and into any cylinder that has the exhaust valves open.

You SERIOUSLY need to flush your cooling system because of the rust build up you will have because of the excessive amount of water you are tossing in there. You can also seriously damage your engine because of the cavitation that is occurring while your running straight water.
Use this document authored by "nylyon" from this forum to perform a flush, use all the chemicals as outlined. Reverse flushing may be needed because of the rust scale build up in your cooling system.

For the gauges, what and why, read post #2 of this thread on a different forum that I wrote.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks very much for the response my friend!! I'm rather concerned with this truck, as it is my first diesel, and I'm learning all kinds of new things. Wish I had bought a truck like this years ago!

Needless to say, I've gone through all your suggested reading, thanks again! ...and I've got a few questions, that maybe you can point me in the right direction...

I already have 2 gauges installed, boost & exhaust temp, tho they seem to be kind of useless in my book. I'd like to add more, but of the critical guages, and I know you mentioned the Edge system for more monitoring, is that system monitoring only or is that a "tuner"? There was a Bullydog tuner installed on this truck when I bought it, but I have turned it off. I've noticed a significant increase in power when it's on, but I'm not willing to eff up my motor if it's going to cause a problem.

I've also been doing some reading and looking at the Bullet Proof Diesel EGR Upgrade as well as their Oil Cooler Systems.

I plan on flushing the system soon, as the I've probably only added about 2 to 3 gallons of water to the system which was entirely coolant before. Not to mention this has only been happening for about 3 weeks (if that)

I really just need to make this truck reliable, I don't need piles of HP... The ability to tow a single space car trailer a few times a week for short trips is all I need.

Thanks again for the info... this is really pointing me in the right direction!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM
information regurgitator

The Edge Insight that I use is an electronic monitor only. It plugs into the OBD port and accesses the stock sensors. There is a better option out there now, the ScanGauge2. That can monitor many more parameters than the Insight can. I agree with removing the bullydog. I suggest leaving that on a shelf somewhere, or better yet, list it on e-bay and make something out of it.
The most critical 2 gauges are ECT and EOT, followed by trans temp and EGT for towing.

Do you work on your own truck or do you take it to a mechanic?

The BPD EGR cooler is THE BEST egr cooler on the market, period. If you want/need to keep the EGR cooler, it is the only way to go.

The BPD oil cooling system, if you can afford the initial cost, is an awesome addition to any truck. Once installed, you will never have another oil cooler/egr cooler failure, you will have better than stock oil filtration, better oil cooling and larger oil capacity. I have this system and unlike most upgrades, this one does not have a downside. It is better all the way around.

If you would like to learn more about this engine, how it is all put together, what the parts are called and their locations, there is a "coffeetable book" series about it. I have linked them below:

2003.25 book, the beginning

2004 book, changes made to the engine from 2003 year

2005 book, more changes that were made. The last of the book series.

Then, when you have some spare time and would like to read up on some things that should be part of your maintenance, check out the articles at the diesel technician society website. DTS Articles
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Outstanding! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.