Sounds are driving me CRAZY!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds are driving me CRAZY!!!

Help me out here guys! I believe I have a leak somewhere around my turbo but can't find it. Its like a sucking sound but yet kind of sounds like a squeel too. It does not vary with RPM only with turbo pressure. When i'm cruising about 55-70, I can ease into the pedal and the sound just gets louder and louder with the more boost it builds. I'm pretty sure its not on the output side of the turbo because I have absolutely no loss of performance or boost. What do you guys think?! I gotta fix it before I go nuts!

Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

BUMP! Somebody help me out here
Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds like the same noise I have, I finally climbed under my truck and tracked it down to a leaking up-pipe on the passenger side.

The flex joint has a split in it, if I poke a long screwdriver up to the flex joint and push on it the noise goes away, and I can also see some soot on the joint.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM
information regurgitator

Jeremy;
Have you had the turbo off recently for any reason?
The source of your hiss could be the y-pipe to turbo connection. That clamp will NOT pull the connection together, much like you might think looking at it. That y-pipe must be fully inserted into the flange on the turbo BEFORE the clamp is placed onto the connection. Try taking that connection apart again, getting the y-pipe all the way into and square with the turbo flange, then getting the clamp on and tight.
If you can't get it to line up, your going to have to loosen both up-pipes at the exhaust manifold and gaining some "wrestle" room that way.

If you have not had the turbo out of the truck, or have not recently touched any exhaust component, then look at the firewall from under the truck. You will see soot around the area of your leak.

If it is coming from the turbo area, it could be a bad boost boot. Its the rubber boot right at the turbo connection to the intercooler pipe. The crankcase vent is in the tube just prior to the turbo, and the turbo action sucks the oil mist into the turbo. Then this oily mist travels throughout the entire air intake system. The silicone that the rubber boots are made out of degrade in the presence of oil. The crusty brown coating you see on that bright blue boot is actually oil that has been pushed through the boot from the inside of it and the dirt has stuck to that oil. That brown crust is telling you it is time to change the boot. The boot at the turbo tends to fail in the lower portion of it, right where you can not see it.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys! The boot you speak of was replaced about 3 months ago during the head gasket install. Right after that install I got my new 2003 turbo that I put on myself. So I'm leaning towards the y-pipe connection you mentioned. I remember it being a ***** to put back on. I'll check that out tonight. As for the firewall, I checked that area the other night and can't find any soot at all.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 06-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Ok guys here is what I found (and didn't find). My first observation was that the top of the turbo where the oil supply line attaches was damp with oil. removed the line and found that the gasket was torn badly. Apparently I didn't notice that I did that during install. So I now installed a new gasket. I dod NOT get to check the clamp for the y-pipes, because it was still hot as hell! But I did check around the area for soot. There is absolutely NO soot on or around (firewall) the flex joints of the up pipes from the manifold. However, there is soot build up on the firewall that goes over the top of the turbo, the turbo heat shield and onto the turbine side of the turbo. I initially thought this was from the bad gasket I replaced, BUT why would soot be coming out of the oil supply area? Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM
information regurgitator

It isn't.
Your y-pipe to turbo connection is off, and the soot is shooting in that direction.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

I sure hope thats it. Tomorrow i'll take time to let it cool down for a while so I can check it. I have noticed that the noise is quiet in the mornings until after it gets up to temp. Steadily gets louder until i'm nearly to work.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Premium Member

Fixed my leak yesterday guy! Although it wasn't were we thought it was. I had already gotten my tools out to take the y-pipe loose to check there and I notcied some soot build up in an odd spot.....on the back side of the vane solenoid! And it looked like it had be shooting upward towards the firewall that covers the turbo. So I grab my light and the first thing I see is HEAVY soot buildup on the bottom side of the bolt for the v-band clamp that holds the turbine housing on. I grab the bolt and try to wiggle the clamp....it's loose!! How does this happen?! i tightened the clamp down and all is good now! Thanks for the help guys!

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.