High pressure oil problem?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High pressure oil problem??

Hey guys, I am at my wits end with this truck. Have been tearing it apart and reassembling it now for weeks. Ford scanned the truck but is pulling no codes and they said they wouold just be pulling it apart and checking things. I can do that just as well as they can and I dont have to pay 150/hour.

I have an 03 6.0L F350. It is starting and running fine until it gets up to operatiing temp (188*). Then it starts to run rough until it dies. Once it dies it will not restart until the engine is cool.

Some Notes on the truck:

-The HPOP was changes less than 3 months ago.
-Replaced the ICP Sensor
-Checked the IPR valve, screen is intact and the valve is in good condition
-FICM is reading 50 volts at all stages of ignition and run
-no codes are being read by my sct, my A/E, or by the ford mecahanics.

My next move is to replace the stand pipes under the oil rail. Im also going to replace the HPOP again, perhaps it killed itself.

There are no dummy plugs in the oil rail on an 03.

There is no stc fitting on the hpop.

Anyone have any ideas where to go from here???

Also can you Air pressure test the High pressure oil system with the turbo off?

And finally, the high pressure oil system is used to power the injection system, does that mean that the low pressure oil system is used solely for lubrication purposes?

I know its long but thanks for the help, im at a stand still!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The low pressure oil system is used to provide oil to the high pressure system, as well as provide lubrication. Therefore, if you have no low pressure oil, you have no high pressure oil either. The 03's had issues with the check ball falling out of the HPOP causing poor LPO. If you pull your oil filter, and depress the ball in the middle, how fast does the housing fill up while cranking?

Definately sounds like a high pressure oil leak, but how about posting the IPR duty cycle and ICP pressure when it won't start? Have you tried commanding the IPR closed with AE and seeing if pressure builds? The IPR could be bad/stuck. Is the screen ripped?

Give us some more info!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM

ipr was replaced less than 3 months ago and is new condition, pulled it last night and screen is perfect.

Not sure how to get the readings on the ipr.

I think its one of 3 things. Injector O-rings, Stand pipe o-rings, or hpop blew...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Under PIDS with AE, you should be able to find IPR duty cycle, ICP DESIRED, and ICP actual. Post the results when trying to start the truck hot.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Stand pipes or injector O-rings are all thats left assuming the low pressure oil system is OK. How does the screen under the oil cooler look. I am guessing its ok because you didn't find crud on you IPR screen. Here is a good link for you. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-17.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.