need help, please read - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
need help, please read

so i just got done installing an EGR delete, 6.4L Banjos, new oil/fuel filter housing(cracked test port installing fuel sender adaptor fitting for guage on first one). i did this over the course of a couple weekends do to waiting for parts and being this is my first 6.0 I went slow and steady and wanted to be maticulous as I dont want to pay for a truck when all I can do is look at it, not to mention listen to the wife I started the truck and it idled for a bit and then cut off, restarted it and idled again same as before working the air out of the system this time it staid running and idled like normal after a few seconds. I checked for leaks, found no fluid leaks, but could of possibly been an exhaust leak. I drove the truck around the field for awhile to heat it up then took it out on my road. everything seemed fine then I went WOT and shortly into it heard a pop like sound, and figured it was the infamous hot side tube blowing off. Truck runs and Ihear the turbo working but am not building boost. when I popped the hood all tubes and such were all in place. But there was smoke coming from behind the turbo. I am thinking maybe up-pipe or y-pipe(leaning towards y-pipe) and that possibly the clamp used on the y-pipe/turbo connection was no good and the popping sound was the y-pipe blowing seperate from its seat in the turbo but from what I can see it looks seated and clamp is in place. There arent any wrench or dummy lights on and showing no codes also, truck only has 54k miles if that means anything. basically looking for something from you guys that have been around these things awhile and can share your knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe 1 of your hoses on intake side has slight cut in it
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 AM

thanks for the reply.not sure that would cause all the smoke though. all my hoses/tubes/pipes are good pre-turbo and post intercooler.i'm pretty sure a y-pipe to turbo leak would cause both the smoke and the no boost situation. suppose I wont know unless I pull the turbo. just want some ideas of what else to look for. really hoping its something as simple as the clamp being bad and not keeping the y-pipe seated into the exhaust inlet of the turbo, and that the pop wasnt the sound of a flex joint in the y-pipe blowing out or blowing out a head gasket or something. dont really want to spend anymore money, point of doing these things was to save me some trouble and money in the long run.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a ford f250 6.0l powerstroke that ws running great untill the other day i went for about a 6 mile drive and when i turned into the driveway of my ranch the truck just bogged down and lost power. then i pumped the peddle a bit and then it just took off like the trottle was stuck wide open and then bogged back down. it iddled the rest of the way bucking and bogging to my home where i turn it off and tried to restart with no luck. i thought the fuel filters were the problem so i opened the moter mounted one and bled off the pressure with my gas cap open, blew out the filter put it back in and it started. i took it for a short drive and it ran good for about 5 mile then did it again. so i replaced both fuel filters and it started out good but did it again. it acts like its either a lack of fuel or to much i dont know? could it be the fuel pump or sending unit in the tank? im at a loss some please help... it went to the dealership today but i would like to know what it could be as to be ready for what they are going to tell me. thanks, jc from texas
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM

gonna start pulling it apart again this weekend. thinking leaky up-pipe(smoke) and maybe hole in my plastic CAC tube(no boost) as I looked today and then wiggled the y-pipe, the clamp and connection to the turbo seamed seated and good. hope to get it sorted out soon, miss driveing it and i miss not haveing the wife complain about spending too much time with the truck
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when you did your egr delete kit did you install a new up pipe(some people block the old ones)? if so did you put the metal gasket between the new up pipe and the y pipe? if not then it will definitely leak
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM

Yes I did install a new up pipe with the metal gaskets. I am guessing its out of tolerance& the wrong length as this is not the first time with the dicad kits from eBay. Went and ordered the R.C.D kit so that should fix that. Now I have to check on my pipes & cac boots thoroughly to find why there is no boost.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most likely an exhast leak, I went through the exact same thing. I got so frustrated I took it to Marty's shop, he straightened it out in no time.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Good news for the no boost problem. While disassembleing today I found that the hot side tube blew out of its bottom intercooler CAC boot and hit the condenser line and battery tray. Now just need to remove the wheel well liner and bad up-pipe and put in the good one when it arrives and reassemble Turbo and such. Thanks to those who stopped in to help. Now just need to see if someone wants to help wire my egt and fuel psi gauges, A.D.D gets the best of me sometimes.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Update. Takeing suggestions

So I got the time to finish the truck today. Replaced the dicad up-pipe with the RCD up-pipe(dicad was noticeably shorter) and started the truck before I put the wheel well liner back in to make sure the up-pipe wasnt leaking. All good there, so I put the liner in and wheel on and took it for a spin. no CEL/Wrench light. FICM is fine and No active or pending codes.I am still getting an exhaust leak, but it's not audible. Smoke only after WOT runs, none @ idle or after normal driving. I know I seated the y-pipe with the turbo, so at this point I am going to double check the down pipe since I had to twist and fool with it and hope it needs adjusted and thats my source, otherwise I'm left with replaceing the y-pipe and I dont want to keep throwing money at it. Does a bad y-pipe have any sound? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.