Oil Rail dummy plugs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Rail dummy plugs

Hey guys, I suspect I have a blown oil rail dummy plug somewhere in my 2003 f350 6.0l. I have the valve covers off and there is oil everywhere under there, is that normal?

Also I am looking for the "2 dummy plugs" however Im not really sure what Im looking for. Anyone have a picture of the valve cover off that I can see the dummy plugs.

Finally there is a steel braided line going to the oil rail. It looks to me that there is an oring on there that could ve the culprit, any ideas.

The picture would greatly help.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there is no dummy plugs on an 03, what is the problem you are having? we at the dealership see alot of standpipes on 03 leaking high pressure oil. and yes it is normal for oil to be all over under the valve covers.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Well i have the exact same issue with my truck. can you tell me how you can check the stand pipes if there are no dummie rails than. can i run the truck with the valve cover off to check if there is a leak. Any help would be great.
Whats going on with mine is once the truck warms up it seems to loose power and when i go to shut it of it wont start for about an hour or once the engine is cold. It turns over great just wont fire. I have new head gaskets,egr delete, all new injectors,apr studs 4 inch exhaust from turbo back and the engine only has 100,000km on it. I getting tired of taking it to this one and only shop we have way up here in the north and now there saying there backed up for another 6 weeks. the next closed shop to me is about 20hrs away so any help would be awsome.I am a single father and this is my only transportation. I currently have the passanger valve cover off and trying to narrow it down to where the issue is
Old 06-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Just an update guys. tonight i tore into the truck and this is what i found. I started the truck when it was cold and the truck started fine. I let it run until it hit operating tempeture and then shut off the truck. Tried to start it and the truck wouldnt fire just cranked over. im not pulling any codes on my sct live wire tuner. Thought i would unplug the icp and try to start it and nothing still. One thing that i did find is when i was turning the key the oil pressure didnt move the first 2 cycles of the key then after the third cycle it jumped right up but did not fire cycles are roughly about 5 to 7 seconds. after i unpluged the icp sensor i inspected the plug and there was no oil around it or in it. Where should i look now if there are no stand pipes or dummie plugs
Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You do actually have standpipes. Check out a pic of your 03 oil system here: Page 40: Fuel Management System

FYI: SCT isn't the best code scanner around--basically worthless for that. You need to monitor your ICP voltage to see what kind of cranking pressure you are getting hot and cold. The dash gauge only takes 7.5 psi to move to the normal range. It's basically an idiot light with a needle and it's lube oil anyway.

Also, check your FICM voltage. It should be 48 at KOEO and while cranking. If it drops below 46 you have a problem there.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM

just another update and question for you.TODAY I PULLED OUT MY ICP SENSOR AND THERE WAS OIL ON IT. MY QUESTION IS WOULD THIS ALSO CAUSE MY TRUCK TO LOOSE POWER WHEN ITS WARM AND ALSO NOT START?? BUT IF I LET IT SIT FOR AN HOUR OR SO IT WILL FIRE RIGHT UP. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND??????
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Just another update guys. Put the new icp sensor in and same issue as before. Truck starts fine when cold and once it warms up it runs like s..t. today i took the truck for a drive around the block and when i went to reverse into my driveway it stalled n wouldnt start for atleast an hour. if it was an issue with the hpop why would it start and run until it warms up.. why is it only acting up once the engine warms up. does any one think there could be a leak in the stand pipes or just go in and replace the hpop once again. I just had this replaced 3 months ago. If you where me WHAT WOULD YOU DO. Our one and only shop is booked right up for at least 6 weeks and the closest dealer ship from here is 20 hrs away. I did pull 2 codes today from cranking the truck over and over and they where p2614 and 2617
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Have you checked your FICM voltage like npc stated? Do you have a scanner to check your icp pressure? If you could moniter this while youre driving you could see if it is falling off. i found that my cts works pretty good to check/moniter this pressure.
If you do see this pressure dropping off you could narrow it down do the stand pipe/dummy plug/hpop.

Could possibly be a plugged ipr, im not sure how to check that but if you pull it out you can check the screen to see if it is dirty/plugged.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 PM

ipr is good

ICP Sensor is changed out

FICM voltage is 48v throughout every test

HPOP replaced less than 2 months ago

8 new injectors less than 2 months ago

New oil cooler less thaN 2 months ago

No visible oil leaks

----

If I get the best OBD2 reader from Canadian tire (Like 400 bucks) will it pull more codes than the sct livewire tuner?

----

Any more opinions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Considering what youve already done i would say put the updated dummy plugs/stand pipes. Theyll run you about 100 bucks for all 4. fyi when you take the valve covers off youll see 2 10mm allens on the oil rails-front is the dummy plug and rear is stand pipe. The updated parts are 14mm allens.

But before doing that see about a monitoring device.

Last edited by 06DZL; 06-13-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.