Ready to begin motor work, please review parts list - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ready to begin motor work, please review parts list

OK,

I'm finally ready to tear into the motor tomorrow so I was wondering if you guys could take a quick look at my shopping list. BTW, thank you all for your input. Please let me know if I'm missing anything, ordering something that is unnecessary or have the wrong PN listed. Thanks. Lastly, truck is an 04 F250- VIN 1FTNW21PX4EC43979.

Component_______________________________Ford Part Number
Head Gaskets (18mm)________________________4C3Z-6051-EA or EB?
HPOP Mesh Filter_____________________________3C3Z-6C683-AB
Upgraded Turbo Oil Return Lines (Drain Tube)_____6C3Z-9T515-A
04 Turbo gasket kit___________________________3C3Z-9T514-AD
Upgraded fuel pressure regulator kit_____________3C3Z-9T517-AG
HPOP O-Rings
Dummy plugs and stand pipe kit:________________6E7Z-9A332-B
Injector O-Rings______________________________3C3Z-9229-AA
Aftermarket Oil Cooler________________________N/A
Aftermarket EGR Cooler_______________________N/A
Aftermarket Coolant Filter_____________________N/A
ARP Bolts___________________________________N/A

Last edited by MMcCawley; 06-10-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 AM
information regurgitator

My crystal ball is in the shop right now because it blew the main creskin gasket so I have no clue as to what your trying to do.
Its nice to know you have an 04, but what are you doing to it and what is the reason?

When you remove the heads, they would also need to be sent out to a machine shop and checked for flat/straight and also magnafluxed for cracking. Skip any of those steps and you will be doing this job again real soon, but with the added joy of buying 2 brand new heads.

I do not see an oil cooler replacement nor do I see an EGR replacement (or delete kit).

I also do not see the turbo oil supply line (which has been upgraded).

If you buy the oil cooler replacement kit ($213.84) part number 3C3Z-6A642-CA, it comes with the new HPOP reservoir screen, cooler and gasket.

Part number 3C3Z-9T514-AD is a turbo mounting hardware kit. It has o-rings, supply line bolt and gasket, 3 new turbo mounting bolts and a few other doodads. It is not a turbo gasket kit.

Instead of purchasing the full "updated fuel pressure regulator kit" (part number # 3C3Z-9T517-AG), purchase part number 6E7Z-9C165-B. This number is about 30% cheaper and gets you the parts needed, and does not come with the new regulator cover (which is typically not necessary).

ARP's $398
Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Yeah I guess it would help if I told you what I was planning on doing, sorry about that. The truck has low compression in the #4 cylinder so I am planning to diagnose and fix the problem, inspect heads, install ARP bolts, upgrade the egr cooler and oil cooler (both aftermarket).

So do I need the turbo mounting hardware kit in addition to the turbo gasket kit or in replacement of?

Also, I'll plan on adding the turbo supply line to my list.

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
information regurgitator

The "Turbo gasket kit" and the "Turbo Mounting Hardware kit" are the same thing, however your calling the mounting kit a gasket kit. It isn't.

If you are going to replace your intake gaskets, want the turbo mounting hardware kit and all the stuff for the egr cooler replacement, you can get that as a kit all together.
Part number 3C3Z-9433-BE
Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know if you plan on doing the upgraded stc fitting(hpop o rings) but the part number is 4c3z-9b24-6f this kit comes with the turbo oil supply gasket.

You may end up not needing the turbo hardware kit as long as you dont break the bolts you have-mine came right out. The reason i say this is if you get the upgraded drain tube it comes with 2 orings and if you get the upgraded supply line it should come with a new oring and thats pretty much your hardware kit. It may be good measure just to have on hand and return if you dont need it.

I also dont see exhaust manifold gaskets, they say you dont need them but if youre gonna be that far in it i would put some on. Part number 6C3Z-9448-A this is for 1 gasket, youll need 2 obviously.

Might as well do the 6.4 banjo bolts while youre there # W302472 need 2 and the washer number is W303659 need 4

Like nyc said the ford oil cooler kit comes with the mesh screen.

I think thats it, i just finished my studs this past saturday so all of this was fresh in my head haha
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 AM
information regurgitator

For the price of the turbo hardware kit (about 8 bucks), I think its worth it, if only for new turbo mounting bolts. I don't know how your turbo came off, but that back bolt took a bit of a beating and I am glad I didn't have to re-use it.
You can always keep the o-rings and all the other stuff for "next time." I have a draw in my roll-away that has a few of these "extra" parts. Its the "you never know when" draw.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Thank you both, I appreciate all of the input. I'll probably order the parts this week.

A couple of other things-

I'm going to run an aftermarket oil cooler so I'll be ordering the HPOP mesh filter separately (assuming this is the same mesh screen you're referring to above).

When I removed the Turbo pipes I noticed about 1 ounce of oil residue in one of the pipes (can't remember which one off hand). Is this something to be concerned about?

06DZL, did you remove you cab? If so, how? Mine is ready to pull but I haven't figured out a way to get it off yet. I figured my neighbors 1500 lb hoist would be more than enough... not so. I think I'm going to design some sort of telescoping lift that bolts to the cab but I'm curious to see if anyone else has been successful without a lift.

Thanks again,
Matt

Last edited by MMcCawley; 06-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You REALLY don't want to take any chances removing your cab with an improper jack. If it falls off a makeshift lift-that will total a truck. Be careful, and be safe.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM

The mesh filter mentioned is the oval shapped under the oil cooler, heres a random pic showing it. Are you going to run a bpd oil cooler kit?

The oil residue is likely from the ccv, nothing to be too concerned about unless excessive. You could check around on the site for the ccv mod and that would get rid of the residue in the pipes.

I did mine cab on, over all i didnt think it was too bad of a job. Would having the cab off made it easier? Heck yes but im still limber enough kneel/sit/squat in the engine compartment. lol
Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCawley View Post
I'm going to run an aftermarket oil cooler so I'll be ordering the HPOP mesh filter separately (assuming this is the same mesh screen you're referring to above).
Which aftermarket oil cooler have you decided to use?
If it is the Bulletproof Diesel setup, congratulations, that is an awesome system. It does not require the separate purchase of the HPOP screen. The BPD header that replaces your oil cooler cover has an integrated stainless steel screen, so that HPOP screen is not needed.

If you decided to go with the IPR oil cooler in place of the stock unit, I would suggest thinking about that some more. What they have done is to remove a coolant passage and an oil passage from the housing. While that doesn't sound like much, it sacrifices efficiency for the sake of flow. You WILL have higher oil temps and if you tow anything, reconsider.

If it is some other aftermarket oil cooler system, check with the manufacturer to determine if you need that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.