Black Smoke and Stumble Taking Off From Light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black Smoke and Stumble Taking Off From Light

Hey guys. In the past couple months maybe 3 times my truck would stumble when taking off from a light. It sort of felt like it had no power but it was only for a second if that then the truck would take off like normal. I had never noticed any sort of smoke when this happens because it happens so quick. Well tonight while driving home it did the same stumble when taking off from a light but this time it felt like it was twice as long as any previous time and this time I happened to look in my mirror and saw a puff of black smoke. Just wondering if somebody has had this same issue and knows what it might be? There is no check engine lights but I am going to check for codes with my SCT tomorrow morning. I know it isnt the greatest for checking codes but its all ive got.

Also I have about 2000 KM's on oil, oil and fuel filters. All ford filter with Rotella 15W40 oil. EGR valve was also cleaned about 2000 KM's ago with new o rings and gasket. The egr valve wasnt wet or anything when I pulled it and it actually looked pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been having the same problem. If I take off slow, it hesitates and blows black smoke.If I punch it, it takes off fine. Cleaned the egr valve and changed the fuel filters. It still does the same. I had one response to my posting but with no help. If you come across any solution, please let me know.thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 04:19 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I used to have this issue. It went away when I disabled the EGR system, and eventually deleted it. Unburned fuel comes out as black smoke, so you obviously have fuel. the next issue is air

A clean "looking" EGR valve means nothing. A sticking EGR valve causes problems. Try unplugging the EGR valve, and see if your issue goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.