Hissing noise after long pull over the mountain - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hissing noise after long pull over the mountain

Hey all, my 05 6.0 liter is making a hissy noise when turned on, sounds like it's coming from around the turbo. Started happening after I pulled a boat over the mountain. My exhaust guy says it's not coming from the exhaust. He mentioned something about a waste gate not functioning?? It whistles pretty loud when taking off from a line as well. LIke a squealing air whistle if that makes sense. Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
information regurgitator

Any work done to the truck recently?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Any work done to the truck recently?
No not recently. Noticed the noise after a long pull. Only about 5000 pounds but I got the EGTs up to a steady 1050 and pushed 1200 once for about 10 seconds.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
information regurgitator

Start looking for the telltale signs of an exhaust leak. My "internet armchair" guess is that your Y-pipe took the dirt nap. The flex joints on either side can split over time.
Look at the firewall behind those flex joints. Also check the clamps on the turbo and the EGR cooler (if that still exists) to see if they are ok, tight, and have no soot stains on them.
I disagree with your exhaust guy. It is an exhaust leak, just a well hidden, royal pain in the a$$ one to find.
If your truck is sitting still, at idle, can you hear the hiss intermittently or is it steady?

By the way, Tousley Ford (800) 328-9552 is where I got my new y-pipe for under 200 bucks to my door. Just in case you need one.
That same pipe priced at my local dealer? Over 600 bucks.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Start looking for the telltale signs of an exhaust leak. My "internet armchair" guess is that your Y-pipe took the dirt nap. The flex joints on either side can split over time.
Look at the firewall behind those flex joints. Also check the clamps on the turbo and the EGR cooler (if that still exists) to see if they are ok, tight, and have no soot stains on them.
I disagree with your exhaust guy. It is an exhaust leak, just a well hidden, royal pain in the a$$ one to find.
If your truck is sitting still, at idle, can you hear the hiss intermittently or is it steady?

By the way, Tousley Ford (800) 328-9552 is where I got my new y-pipe for under 200 bucks to my door. Just in case you need one.
That same pipe priced at my local dealer? Over 600 bucks.
Very good info NYC, I appreciate it. I agree, I think it's exhaust. Yeah, when it's started nothing for about 3 seconds, then it's constant. Get's higher (hissing noise) when revved.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Had the exact same problems with mine over the winter, went to go and replace the turbo this past weekend and cracked the y pipe more.
New one should be here this week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.